ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 500 fps limits

I replaced the hollow bolt probe on a QB78 with a Crosman style extended central probe and picked up over 30 fps on a 30 FPE rifle on HPA.... BTW, I had previously enlarged the ports in the hollow probe for maximum flow, there was little wall thickness left.... I personally don't like hollow probes....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Quote Originally Posted by rsterne View Post
    I replaced the hollow bolt probe on a QB78 with a Crosman style extended central probe and picked up over 30 fps on a 30 FPE rifle on HPA.... Bob
    100%

After having some trouble with my hollow probe, I made up an extended one and like Bob said: picked up 30-35 fps. Eric has both the hollow probe as well as the Crosman extended probe, you'll just have to decide which one...

And to echo everyone's suggestion - purchase/borrow a chrony!!! I would be lost without mine.

Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

Banned
    Well I guess that answers that,,the Williams Notch Blade rear sight looks very nice,,but would have to make or buy a muzzle brake with a post on it,,a scope does sound nice but it's iffy for me,,haven't even got the ****** yet and already thinking way ahead of myself,,haven't told the wife as yet but will get into my sulking mode when it comes,,got to think of a good face to put on,,had problems when younger with my hand guns,,maybe I can play it down and say it's just a pretty BB gun,,got a week to practice and at my age that's a long time,,HA HA
    Charlie

Don't assume a 14" barrel puts you over 500 fps. I didn't crony my 2240 until AFTER adding that barrel and a small bit of tubing behind the spring.

To my surprise it clocked between 493 and 497 fps. So that particular 2240 was doggish from the factory to begin with.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Banned
    I know my limits for velocity and knew from the beginning I would be cutting the power adjuster bolt back enough when tightened up to keep it at 460 or whatever fps as advertised,,I like the hex brass design he milled the power adjuster out to so it's just for looks and does nothing to increase fps,,also bought a hex brass front plug and have a friend milling me out a brass barrel band,,as for the 14 in. barrel I can cut back as much as needed a bit at a time till it gives me just under the limited 500 fps,,been told several times it's a goofy way to go but it's the look I want and still have a fine close to limit plinking pistol that's legal to use in the bush,,all I need is grips and some trigger work,,will be getting the Crosman LPA MIM rear sight and black front muzzel brake with stem on it,,can see in my minds eye what I want and the extra cost for do nothing parts isn't all that much,,dammed if I know why my questions asked make it look like I want extra power when I know there are limits I can't go over,,went in and had a very good conversation with the local RCMP explaining the project and all he said was have fun and take care,,thanks for the information on the long barrel.
    Charlie

I see you have changed your mind from the williams blade sight to the LPA MIM. I have them both and I like the williams a whole lot better. In fact the LPA probably hasn't seen action in 6 months.

Just my two pennies.
    Sean

Banned
    Yes the Williams is very nice,,haven't seen the back of it,,does it have the quick find white dots like the LPA,,haven't really gone that far and have both in mind,,what front sight are you using and is the notch in the blade wide enough to quickly find the front sight,,it looks very narrow,,was thinking of the Crosman black front sight with post but no holes to cut down noise,,been a very long time since I've shot a hand gun and getting into this is mind boggling with all the mods,,the only reason I did get into it was because 3-4 times in the summer we take off and travel way back roads all over the interior doing photography,,it's just a toy to play with when stopped for lunch and play a little.
    Charlie

Banned
    Have got my mind working again and have to settle it,,I like the long 4 or so in. brass muzzel brake with front site post on it and holes around that the tops are enlarged,,mailed a dealer down here and asked if they could order one on a request from me,,don't know how that'll go over,,probably not,,just want to cut down the loud report everyone say is,,have access to a lathe and milling machine and a friend who is a master at it,,I know the barrel is 5/16 and he can drill it to it,,put the holes in but the end looks like it's maybe a slight touch bigger than the riffled barrel diameter,,if there is enough length going over the barrel and it's tight for about 2 in. that should keep everything in line,,2 set screw to hold the brake tight to the barrel,,looked for designs for that particular one but they don't give them up easy,,can laser front to rear sights with no problems before setting lock screws,,,,anyone have any good schematics or drawings on this project and or will ship one to Canada.
    Charlie

Cutting down the "report" and you have a suppressor (which is a "prohibited device" in Canada). This is not cool to be talking about on a Canadian forum- please take such questions to another forum.

If suppressors are brought up again here, I will be forced to lock this topic thread.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    Cutting down the "report" and you have a suppressor (which is a "prohibited device" in Canada). This is not cool to be talking about on a Canadian forum- please take such questions to another forum.

If suppressors are brought up again here, I will be forced to lock this topic thread.
    They're not only prohibited but a silencer alone is considered a prohibited firearm even without being attached to anything.
    So it's a BAD idea.
    If you want a legal "silencer" you can take a cardboard box cut two large holes to put the pistol and see your target and line it with carpet or foam and it will lower your report without being a silencer or even attached to the gun (or just crack a window or door open and shoot outside from inside the house, most of the sound will stay inside the house and won't bother your neighbors).

+ Reply to Thread