ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 500 fps limits

Banned

500 fps limits

Just ordered a 2240 along with a steel breech and 14 in barrel,,would like a few more mod things like a velocity adjuster and or whatever,,is there a limit you can mod to keep it under 500 fps,,I see a lot of mods on some 2240 searches that look like it takes it over.
    Chas

Adding a 14" barrel will likely put you over the 500fps limit. You'll have to clip the hammer spring, or an add an RVA to keep it out of restricted firearm territory. I'd suggest that velocity mods should be only done if you have access to a chrony (or an RPAL). Sure would increase the accuracy, though...
    Just my $.002

Banned
    Southern Ontario,,,hummmmmmm,,I originally come from Welland,,didn't think by just putting a 14 in barrel would up the fps that much,,want to replace the trigger and I see there's a bras rod and lighter spring that goes in place,,I guess that takes out a power adjuster but with one could maybe reduce the power,,I like the brass add ons you can make,,have to think of a scope or better still get a good rear and foresight,,don't expect to shoot or hurt any little critters,,don't go that way,,the fun is taking everything away from the ****** and put it all on you,,don't know how long it takes for packages to come from your neck of the woods to way out in BC,,maybe next Mon,,and I hate waiting for mail,,take care.
    Charlie

i would crony the 2240 with normal weight pellets before and after the mod . but the 14" barell would likely put you near but not over the 500 mark . as my first mod (acording to PACTOO) did not exede 500 on a 18 incher.

it all boils down to you whant to mod you need a crony

Using an RVA to dial the power down is not really sufficienct, as it can just be dialed back up again.... clipping the hammer spring is the easiest, most legal way.... and saves CO2 to boot....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Banned
    Will have to see when it gets here and I put the new breech in,,I read to that it wouldn't take it over on a few sites,,maybe call the gun club and see if they have that fps measuring device and check it out.
    Charlie

If you plan on modding this one further or to tinker with other guns you should get your own chrony, it's totally worth the price, just buy the cheapest one available, it'll be worth every penny.

Banned
    Couldn't find much on the hollow probe in a search,,can see where it would help,,I think but is it worth the cost and effort to put in,,copied and pasted the discription below.

Extended hollow probe for use on Crosman 22xx, Discovery airguns. Reduces resistance to gas flow between transfer port and the rear of pellet.

Charlie

I used an extended probe in a 2240 build, and it works great. Not sure how the hollow ones fare...
    X2 on the Chrony-well worth the investment (less than $100).

In my view (and I sell these things) the hollow probe is a waste of time on anything less than an 18" barrel- the 22xx's flow more Co2 they can use with shorter barrels in .22 caliber- and even at 18" it's usefulness is debatable.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

+ Reply to Thread