Quote Originally Posted by poil27 View Post
what you guys mean by that?
I think, in summary, that everyone is basically saying that the armed forces will own your ass (or your girlfriend's in this case) and do whatever they please. DND and its setup is a funny place- a number of years ago I was given an offer to go work there as a civilian manager, and in the course of deciding if I wanted the job, I found all sorts of odd things- the funniest of which was that, in this position, in a meeting with Operational personnel, I would be granted the "rank" for the purposes of the meeting of "Lt. Colonel". Forget the silliness of such a concept- I did not take the job and always think of the MASH episode where everyone walks around addressing each other by title "Colonel. Doctor. Doctor. Colonel. Major. Doctor. Doctor..." Anyways, fact is, and I'd heard this many times in the past- recruiters will say just about anything to get a signature on paper- some of it true, maybe some of it not-so-true, but they do indeed "own you" once you've signed up. I knew a guy a number of years ago who signed up to be a Reservist (or so he thought)- turns out he had signed up for full-time service by not reading the form they stuck in front of him- and they wouldn't let him out of it easily when he discovered the error. He eventually said to them "f-you" before any sort of training or such, then was threatened with arrest for not complying with his training deployment orders. Last I heard of him (25 years ago) he was on hbis way to a bus station to take a trip to training camp...