ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POL Vs. PAL - 500 fps

POL Vs. PAL - 500 fps

First... sorry if this is a no-brainer and redundant to the experienced - I'm a newbie.

I want to purchase an air rifle exceeding 500 fps velocity. I have the "old school" POL license (which expires in March - I've already sent in by renewal app). I've been putting off applying for a PAL, I'm under the impression that there are changes coming with C-19 but I can't seem to find definitive answers. My questions...

-will my POL be replaced by a PAL? From what I read... there has not been a POL option in many years.
    -if I am reissued with a POL type license, will it now allow me to purchase the gun discussed above?
    -where do we stand with the implementation of Bill C-19? Will C-19's implementation change my circumstance? I've owned and used guns for 40 years... should I just go write the challenge and get a PAL so I can move ahead with my purchase?

Thanks in advance. Dan

BTW: lengthy replies not required if you can point me in the right direction with a few informative links.

pol posession only renewing is only going to get you another posession only.you may not purchase a new gun .you must take new gun course for posession aquisition licence

Hi Dan, this is a grey area I have been wondering about. Like you, I have a POL, so we can't go into a shop with our POL and purchase a 800fps airgun. That requires a PAL and registration of the new airgun. With the end of the long gun registry, the licencing provisions won't change (at least not right away) so a POL holder will still not be able to purchase an over 500 fps airgun. However, if one were to purchase a sub 500 fps rifle and in their basement workshop do a little tuning to CREATE a 700 fps rifle, what then? As of today it would be a crime. Once the long gun registry is gone, a POL holder would be in possession of a long gun that no longer requires registration. The POL holder would still not be able to ACQUIRE a PAL rated rifle over the counter, but it seems that it would be legal to be in possession of one. Remember the registration records are going to be destroyed, so looking back at previously owned firearms will not be possible.

This is only one of the reasons that the licencing system needs to be overhauled.

If an individual without a PAL or POL modifies a non PAL rifle into a PAL rated one, then they would have a problem.........

And what about that powerful old springer in the attic of the garage that nobody ever thought to register 16 years ago..............would a holder of a Possession Only Licence be ok to possess it after the registry is gone?

I hope that the POL and PAL will be merged together in the near future. I challenged the CFSC exam and passed recently and am now waiting for my results to arrive in the mail (7 weeks so far) so I can send in my PAL application to Miramichi and wait some more.........

I suggest you challenge the exam Dan, preparing for it was a great refresher for me.

thay stop issuing new pol for years now but people that has pol will be renewed as pol. you can aply for pal if you pass the exam. (wish a greatly recomand)
    as for the moded gun it is as you say a greay era

Uh... Technically, I don't think it's a grey area at all...

While in possession of a POL, all the firearms you own need to be registered, and those firearms are the only ones you are allowed (unless you borrow one of your applicable class). If you build/modify a sub-500 into a non-restricted or a restricted firearm, you are technically in violation because you have acquired a new firearm, and you don't have the license to own it.

I would suggest you challenge the exam(s) and get it over with. Having a POL is like window shopping at Christmas...

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...ol-pps-eng.htm

Cheers!

pal rated guns in canada including airguns have a serial number.airguns under 500 do not

Quote Originally Posted by maurice View Post
    pal rated guns in canada including airguns have a serial number.airguns under 500 do not
    Uh... All major manufacturers put serial numbers on their products - PAL or not. Crosman, Daisy, Weihrauch, pretty much everyone. It allows simpler part and product tracking, especially in modern manufacturing techniques. It also allows these companies the ability to track quality and issue recalls if necessary.

Check it out, if you don't believe me. Somewhere on your airgun is a serial number - and that number can be tracked.

have abenjerman from crappy tire no sn.

Check the right side of the barrel near the loading port - under the calibre and model. I'm pretty sure it's there... It is on my Benjamin NP Trail. Failing that, it could be on the receiver body.

not sure of that my cheap ass phantom and quest eaven my izh 60 has a SN on them here is a pic of the sn on my phantom your benj should have one around the same era , it is basicaly the same gun.

+ Reply to Thread