ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got my LYNX!!! and Hill pump

I got my LYNX!!! and Hill pump

So I ordered from D&L and paid on Monday and it got here today :) I also ordered a Hill pump. I will post thumbs since the pics are huge. For anybody wanting more detail just click on them.

The boxes:

They like their packing peanuts at D&L

A fairly well packed gun. It comes bubble wrapped from the factory.
    It includes an instruction manual, allen keys for adjustments, spare o rings, and a quick disconnect. I also ordered a magazine so they included instructions for that.

This pic is just a stock picture since it better shows the whole gun than I would be able to take a picture of.
    http://www.dlairgun.com/airgun-image...a%20Lynx_1.jpg

I do not think my pics do this stock justice. It is really nice.

They have laser engraved 495 FPS into it

The stock is the same on left and right sides, so us lefties will have no problems with it.

The cocking arm springs open when pulled on and stops where shown here:

Then you pull it back to where it starts to "cock". The very tip of the lever moves about 1.5" back to the fully cocked position:

Then on the forward stroke when you get back to here and start to push it, it springs closed.

I do not really like this feature as of yet because the blueing is already being worn away and I have only opened it twice. Obviously they have tested it several times at the factory.

I cleaned out the barrel with patches, wee wacker line and gun oil. First patch came out with some metal shavings on it and lots of brown..... I really hope its not rust.

The Hill pump also came well packed with lots of peanuts :P

Got a spare seal kit, desiccant refill and silicone grease as well just in case. Lifetime warranty!

Some assembly required. You will need an adjustable wrench in addition to the tools provided.

Pumping it up for the first time from completely empty took me 265 pumps. I let it rest after every 50 but it only needed cooling for every 50 after 150 or so.
    It seem fairly even. These are approximate numbers for pressure.
    0-50: 500 psi
    51-100: 1000
    101-150: 1500
    151-200: 2100 (it really started getting warm during these last sessions so pressure was a bit higher)
    201-250: 2700
    251-265: 3000

im jealous!
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion ...but only mine is right!
    DAVE G

So I was playing with my actual Lynx magazine and it needed some work. The pellet dividers in some places were too thick so they forced the pellet to far out and it would bind on the inside. Some had burs on the edges. They were making marks in CPHPs and damaging the skirts.... Also were being damaged because they had to be pushed so hard to load. This is with several JSB pellets as well.

Then it jammed really hard and had to be taken apart just to get it unstuck. This was just putting in the pellets and pushing them out with an allen key, not using it in the rifle. And this was only loading it for the 2nd time!

I had to remove some material and take off the burrs to get it to function properly. I believe I also have one less turn of spring rotation from stock. Still have to fine tune 1 or 2 chambers but it is working like a charm now.

Has anybody else had any experiences like this?

I also noticed that the bolt probe is quite high and when it contacts the breech it actually contacts the top of the breech with the part of the probe that just starts to angle up. I assume this would put undue wear on things.

What I find really incredible here is that you took the time to take pictures while unwrapping the thing.
    When I get a new gun in the mail I'm like a kid on christmas morning, I'm cutting and tearing things up I want my new gun and I want it NOW! When I'm done there is foam peanuts everywhere in a 5M radius of the box and me.
    Ok I'm exagerating a little but I certainly don't have time for pictures. My hat is off to you

I think you are a pioneer on the Lynx here, I know of one other person (on the CAF, Kelly1 I believe) who got a Lynx. We must rely on you guys to post info and results. We are lucky to have a few choices now in non-PAL PCP rifles, Hatsan 44 and 65, Lynx, Brocock Contour and Concept....and all available as repeaters as well... it's exciting. Anyhow, I'm a bit upset that the Lynx needed "work" out of the box to shoot smoothly, but from your experience it isn't too bad to smooth out. Similar problems have been reported on the Hatsan 44s, but they are just about half the cost of Lynx & Brococks. Anyhow, my thanks for your posting and I, like many on here, will be reading your reports on the Lynx with great interest.
    Was the magazine "included" or did you have to get it as an accessory?
    Member, Limestone Beekeepers Guild
    Duke ))))----//----------==

Quote Originally Posted by DocGadget View Post
    What I find really incredible here is that you took the time to take pictures while unwrapping the thing.
    When I get a new gun in the mail I'm like a kid on christmas morning, I'm cutting and tearing things up I want my new gun and I want it NOW! When I'm done there is foam peanuts everywhere in a 5M radius of the box and me.
    Ok I'm exagerating a little but I certainly don't have time for pictures. My hat is off to you

I had to do something to keep myself from ripping it open and running around giggling and screaming like a schoolgirl. Plus I was also going to do a review of D&L and just in case there was any damage ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Dukemeister View Post
    I think you are a pioneer on the Lynx here, I know of one other person (on the CAF, Kelly1 I believe) who got a Lynx. We must rely on you guys to post info and results. We are lucky to have a few choices now in non-PAL PCP rifles, Hatsan 44 and 65, Lynx, Brocock Contour and Concept....and all available as repeaters as well... it's exciting. Anyhow, I'm a bit upset that the Lynx needed "work" out of the box to shoot smoothly, but from your experience it isn't too bad to smooth out. Similar problems have been reported on the Hatsan 44s, but they are just about half the cost of Lynx & Brococks. Anyhow, my thanks for your posting and I, like many on here, will be reading your reports on the Lynx with great interest.
    Was the magazine "included" or did you have to get it as an accessory?
    Yes, I saw that thread on CAF plus another one on GTA when the V10s first came into the US. I was also looking at the Contour but really wanted a multishot and did not want to wait for them to come in.

It is getting smoother as I was playing with the side lever, I was just concerned about the bolt riding high causing undue wear, I will have to see if it is cause by a low side lever or if something is pushing the bolt up. This is also one of the early versions with the mislabeled thread size on the regulator so I do not know if this is a problem in the newer ones.

The Lynx does not include a magazine, but it does have a single shot adapter. As to the problems on it, with the half circle that holds the pellet, the pellet had a gap under the bottom of the circle because the sides were too thick to allow the pellet to fully "seat" so it was pushing against the inside of the magazine. I sent a Message to Cometa on their website and they said they would pass it onto their tech people.

And paypal was being slow to verify my account and stuff and I dont touch CCs balances for play things so I still need to order a scope for it. But the chrony will be here next week. So I should have some numbers and shot counts sometime soon. I could put on a non AO Bushnell 4200 2.5x10-40 that my Dad has, but I dont know how blurry it will be at 10 yards.

Just got a reply from John at D&L. He says just tighten the fittings and that the rust colored stuff is actually the preservative that Cometa uses....
    Last edited by averagejoe; May 04 2012 at 03:13 PM.

Alright, a bit of shot info.

Using CPHPs I got about 220 shots before they started to drop off. I was loading up the mag and shooting as fast as I could so I shot a total of 250. :P
    Started at 3000 PSI and ended up at about 1250.

I was forced to shoot semi offhand at about 8 feet so groups are not relevant. I was shooting into my duct seal trap with 1" of seal. Every so often the lead would pile up and just fall off. ;D It had 1/8 of an inch or so of seal left

Pics are thumbs, just click on them to see bigger images.
    I was shooting in the middle about 2/3 of the way down. Dont mind the pellets spread everywhere else, that is from other shooting. As you can see, duct seal traps are extremely effective.

The chunks of lead that fell down

The crater after I pulled out the main chunk.

And all of the pellets. About 235 worth.

Edit: It took me 140 pumps to get it from the 1250 psi to 3000.
    Last edited by averagejoe; May 04 2012 at 08:33 PM.

Possible DANGEROUS flaw/quirk.

I noticed this when I was doing the shot count per fill test. The final bit of the coking stroke is VERY heavy and makes it easier for this to happen, especially with a weaker shooter. When cocking you get a heavy spring pressure with a sudden stop, pulling a bit farther back will cock the rifle.

I was noticing that sometimes I would go to pull the trigger and there would be no resistance (except for the spring pulling it forward) until it got to the breaking point when it would suddenly go off. Quite the hair trigger in these instances.

What happens is if you do not pull the lever hard all the way back the sear barely catches and will still seem like it is cocked. When you pull the trigger there will be no "first stage" and as soon as you even touch the "2nd stage" it WILL FIRE. This could lead to an accidental discharge and cause injury if you are unaware it has happened. I do not know if knocking/bumping etc can set it off in this situation or not.

I have been able to replicate this by slowly pulling it back until it starts to latch then stopping pressure. If you go back a little more it will fully engage. I do not know if there is a way to polish things to prevent this from happening but will have to check things out.

Another small problem is with the sloppy cocking lever. Since there is so much up and down play the area where the lever and hammer linkage is pinned together is contacting the action on the closing stroke and is actually damaging the finish. I will see if I can add small washers or something to take the play out and improve it.

I will also have to try to center the bolt because it is high when entering the breech. It is off enough that you can easily tell by looking at it and it makes the bolt feel "sticky" because of the extra force required to move it.

I may just be nitpicking over these last two things but I feel I should report everything. But for a $650 gun these things should have been taken care of.

You can see where it has been rubbing with only 250 shots.

I contacted Cometa about the issue of the dangerous cocking situation. They replied back and said to unscrew the power adjuster screw at least 1 full turn.

I have not done any modifications or adjustments other than tightening fittings as per D&L request for the leak.

I was only able to turn it back 3/4 of a turn before it stopped. This reduced the effort required to cock the gun by about 1/2 I would say. :shock: I wonder what this will do to the FPS rating. Will turn it back up and get some comparative numbers when I get my Chrony this week.

Although it is now harder to make it accidentally "half cock", it is still quite possible to do it if you want to. You can feel the roughness when you go slowly. It seems to be easier to do when the rifle is sitting on its side.

+ Reply to Thread