Call 'em gophers, whistle pigs, or ground squirrels.... I went out to a nearby ranch/sawmill today and spent the afternoon shooting 'em.... As is typical for "gopher" hunting, for every 3 or 4 (or 5) you shoot you might recover one.... I figure I whacked at least 40 today.... This is what I found....

The longest shot was the big guy in the middle, a lasered 98 yards.... Shot quite a few between 50-70 yards.... missed quite a few between 80-90 yards.... but the majority were 30-40 yard shots.... I took my SCUBA tank and my .2260 based PCP and about 100 pellets out in our Rhino ATV.... should have taken more ammo....

That rifle spits out JSB 18.1 gr. Heavies at about 950 fps (36 FPE).... At the moment I have a Leapers 3-9 x 32 AO scope on it, sighted at 40 yards, which gives me a point blank hold to 45 yards and top of the head at 50 for a headshot.... I held 3 MilDots high on the top of the head at 98 yards and was rewarded with a high chest hit.... When you get a solid hit there is no doubt in your mind.... You can see the splatter behind and can hear that THWACK, even from 50 plus yards....

This was the most fun I've had in a VERY long time.... I have to say, it's as satisfying to clobber a ground squirrel at 100 yards with an airgun as it is with a .222 Rem at 200.... Next time I visit, I'll be taking the landowner a bottle of Vodka to thank him.... WHAT A BLAST !!!

Bob