ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ontario Gun Registry??

I'm a little shocked/surprised that this letter is playing out publicly. However I do understand the value of "outing" the perpetrators in a situation like this and the political advantages involved.

However I can't find any confirming evidence of this letter on any news feeds
    Sean

The "letter" I have not seen elsewhere, but there are published stories in some of today's newspapers- but they are more "Vic Toews has stated he is instructing provincial CFO's to stop requiring the collection of firearm buyers personal information"- not an actual quoted/print of a/the letter.

But, due to another interesting situation that has come up;

How will Quebec and it's injunction for Registry data not being destroyed (and people/businesses in Quebec still being required to deal in Registry submissions), or Quebec creating its own Registry open a new "back door" Registry?

As an example; right now there are a pile of firearms in the hands of Quebec-based manufacturers reps. and distributors. All are "Registered" to the company/companies holding them. To ship to a customer outside Quebec, they still have to make a Registry submission to the CFC to have the firearm "de-listed" from their inventory/ownership. I am betting that as part of this process, they must provide the outside-of-Quebec buyers name/license info. Now take this one step further- if they must Register, within Quebec, any firearm they take possession of for the purposes of inventory (warrantee exchange units, distribution inventory, etc.) and then must "de-register" it when being sent outside Quebec- will the Province have a partial, nation-wide Registry in its hands? Don't get me wrong, it's not like Quebec has 90% of the gun market in Canada in respect to distributors/manufacturers reps- but there are a few and at least one of the biggest names too- i.e. Remington (every Remington firearm in Canada the last few years has come through Quebec). It makes one wonder if Quebec could become the de-facto nationwide gun registry, even if it's only got 30% of Canadian firearms in it-primarily because of this distributor situation?
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Some more on the "back door registry",
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...e.html?cmp=rss
    Member, Limestone Beekeepers Guild
    Duke ))))----//----------==

+ Reply to Thread