ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question airgun selling ethics

Quote Originally Posted by ARSIE View Post
    I learned long ago that if I really want a for sale item. I don't fool around and I pay the asking price. If I throw a lower price at the seller than they are asking, and the item gets sold to someone else. It wasn't really a must have on my part.
    Ya Snoozes, Ya Loses.
    I have to agree with you ARSIE. If I see something I want I am willing to pay the asking price. Heck I've even been known to pay more if the seller has lowered his price to entice more offers. In my opinion I want a happy seller selling me an airgun. An unhappy seller may affect future sales or at worst a poorly packaged airgun shipment to me.

To get back to the original topic, I agree that it's not sales ethics but sales courtesy. And once again if you wish to make more sales/buys you should treat everybody with respect no matter how much you may feel your airgun is worth.

Occasionally I see airguns for sale on the forums for maybe $20 less than a guy paid for it at Cdn Tire. Those guns don't sell. But that's not ethics just sales inexperience.

I recomend that if you have a bad sales experience with somebody on the forums simply place a negative feedback within the Buyer/Seller Feedback Center and don't make it personal, don't let it spill out onto other subforums. Lately I've witnessed a lot of bickering and name calling. This is just a hobby guys and we are all adults here.
    Benjamin NP Trail (0.22)
    Stoeger X5 (0.177)
    SIG Sauer X-Five Open (0.177)
    H&K MP5-PDW (0.177)
    Crosman 3576 (0.177)
    Crosman 1377 (0.177)
    Elite II (0.177)
    Colt Defender (0.177)
    Colt Combat Special (0.177)

Quote Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
    I have to agree with you ARSIE. If I see something I want I am willing to pay the asking price. Heck I've even been known to pay more if the seller has lowered his price to entice more offers. In my opinion I want a happy seller selling me an airgun. An unhappy seller may affect future sales or at worst a poorly packaged airgun shipment to me.

To get back to the original topic, I agree that it's not sales ethics but sales courtesy. And once again if you wish to make more sales/buys you should treat everybody with respect no matter how much you may feel your airgun is worth.

Occasionally I see airguns for sale on the forums for maybe $20 less than a guy paid for it at Cdn Tire. Those guns don't sell. But that's not ethics just sales inexperience.

I recomend that if you have a bad sales experience with somebody on the forums simply place a negative feedback within the Buyer/Seller Feedback Center and don't make it personal, don't let it spill out onto other subforums. Lately I've witnessed a lot of bickering and name calling. This is just a hobby guys and we are all adults here.
    All true, it might not have been ethics but more like politness and courtesy.
    I didn't make him an offer either, he had a few guns for sale some sold, some didn't, he lowered the price on the unsold ones but he offered me this one after the original buyer stopped responding to emails. I simply said I was hoping for a small price drop and asked if he was willing to lower it a little bit. He never answered me... a simple "no" would have been fine I would have paid his asking price but I'm not angry at the seller at all, it's his gun and he can do whatever he wishes to do with it and when I asked him if was willing to lower it a little I was willing to let it go, I knew I was taking a risk and to me it was worth it.
    I had first established the price I was willing to pay for it and was trying to get there, it obviously didn't work and I just wanted to know if I was crazy thinking he could have at least answered me, it seemed like the right to do, it seemed like it was the polite and gentleman way of doing it, I guess I'm just too old fashioned about this even if I'm not that old yet.

I'm not a haggler either, I don't always try to bargain things I'm buying even if the seller opens the door to negotiation. When I bought my muzzle brakes from jezX he asked me what I tought about the price he was asking me I said it suited me fine and I tought it was a fair price and asked if wanted more for shipping and did the same when buying my stock that JoeHickey is making me, paid in full and I asked both of them if they wanted me to pay before starting their work and when they declined I asked if they wanted a deposit for it.

That gun deal is the second deal that went "wrong" in my life and the first one was with an immature 16 year old guy so it doesn't really count and it's not something I'm used to. My deals usually go smoothly.

New development on the topic... the seller has contacted me again, the gun is still unsold he apparently encountered a bunch of deadbeat buyers that aren't paying for the gun and he's offering it to me again, what should I do here, I need you advice.
    Buying or not buying THAT is the question.

I would say if you still want the gun, make him an offer.

At this point- I don't think it would be likely he would completely ignore an offer lower than his asking price.

Is this a known seller, or a first-timer?
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

+ Reply to Thread