ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lothar Walther ready to go for the AR/QBD

Missed this on my first run through...barrel looks great Sean. :)
    Thanks for the link to the rust blue too.

AL

I finally got some time to get the barrel finished up and installed on the rifle for some testing.

DSCF0183.jpg

First thing I noticed when I chambered a pellet was the throat lead was too tight and would need a bit more work with the reamer.

Here is the rifle with the first 5 shot group, Meisterkugelns at 10m. Not too bad for the first 5 shots through a new barrel but something is obviously not up to snuff

DSCF0182.jpg

I took the barrel off again and eased the throat lead a bit more and repolished.
    The next 5 shots looked a lot better
    DSCF0186.jpg

And it passed the Anschutz test

DSCF0187.jpgDSCF0188.jpg

I still have to test a variety of pellets at different velocities to see how fussy this barrel is. ( I'm guessing it wont be) but I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing here with a randomly selected pellet.
    Sean

me like!
    Member, Limestone Beekeepers Guild
    Duke ))))----//----------==

Great results, Sean! Nice work! Wish I had the tools and talent to do that...

Just about finished my latest project, then I'll be able to start .25 cal LW Disco project. Can't wait!

Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

25 cal LW Disco sounds pretty sweet too. What was the latest proj...and where 's da pics dude
    Sean

I don't want to hi jack your thread , but seeing as it was you who asked....it's nothing special, just a skeleton version of Bob's 2260 HPA (which I used as a guide), and still a work in progress. My first HPA build where I did all the work myself - with my limited tools! (valve, HPA setup, shroud, etc...). Figured if I was going to learn how to do it right, I may as well learn from one of the best. Hope you don't mind, Bob! Not as hot as Bob's, though - 14.3 gr Benji HP @ 957 fps, 16 gr Polymag @ 930 fps.

...And before anybody gets excited about the shroud - it's purely cosmetic (no baffles or such). Unfortunately, it still sounds like a .22 lr... Now, if you want to see some real quality craftmanship, check out the fancy butt pad!
    2260hpa 007.JPG

Todd
    Last edited by sholo; Apr 28 2012 at 11:02 PM.
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

Excellent work there Sean. Had an opportunity to shoot mine today as well...I am a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by sholo View Post
    I don't want to hi jack your thread , but seeing as it was you who asked....it's nothing special, just a skeleton version of Bob's 2260 HPA (which I used as a guide), and still a work in progress. My first HPA build where I did all the work myself - with my limited tools! (valve, HPA setup, shroud, etc...). Figured if I was going to learn how to do it right, I may as well learn from one of the best. Hope you don't mind, Bob! Not as hot as Bob's, though - 14.3 gr Benji HP @ 957 fps, 16 gr Polymag @ 930 fps.

...And before anybody gets excited about the shroud - it's purely cosmetic (no baffles or such). Unfortunately, it still sounds like a .22 lr... Now, if you want to see some real quality craftmanship, check out the fancy butt pad!
    Attachment 508

Todd
    Todd that looks awesome. 930 fps with polymags .....That's SMOKIN! Let me know when your shooting it and I'll be sure to stay low or indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Gippeto View Post
    Excellent work there Sean. Had an opportunity to shoot mine today as well...I am a happy camper.
    That's great to hear Al. It's nice to work with such a fine grade of steel. What are your thoughts after having done one. So far I have not cut the slot for the barrel band screw. And at this point I don't know if I'm going to. If I do I will likely move it much closer to the breech.
    Sean

Sure was nicer to work with than the Crosman barrels. I fitted mine a bit non traditional for a qb...more like a polytubed Crosman....that fits the receiver. It's floated as well. Made a pellet tray from delrin that fits a bit closer as well. Seems to take most of the slop out of the bolt when clambering...but such things are subjective. Shoots like a house on fire now. Tried cphp, ultramags, Jsb's in 8.4 &10.3grs , and baracudas ....all were good. Certainly not fussy but a slight preference for the heavy Jsb's.

Will be making a velocity adjuster this week for further fine tuning.

I also was thinking of making the pellet tray separate from the barrel.... I presume that is what you did?....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

+ Reply to Thread