ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: .177 Airhawk upgrade...

.177 Airhawk upgrade...

Well, in celebration of the coming end of the "Registry" and the fact I had a bit of time (thank-you Sean)- I decided I should install a Vortek kit in a detuned .177 Airhawk that was received on a trade from Dave here on the forum (Umarex chinese copy of the Diana 34) and see what happens (Yes, I have all the licensing required for this).

Don't have pictures, unfortunately, I don't have alot of time and the quicker I could get through it, the better (and the more likely I would actually get it done before something else sidetracked the activity).

The rifle was surprisingly well built- but I also suspect someone else was inside it before I got to it- better lube than I would have expected (appeared to be an almost silicone grease mixed with some of the factory-style mystery goo), a lot less dirt, a polished piston, and reasonable guides.

It was testes beforehand, and with 7.5gr-ish pellets was a bit "hot" at 520fps average at 10 shots, no dieseling to speak of.

So, I ripped it apart, cleaned it up a bit (ground off some ragged edges on the piston slot with a Dremel) and started with the Vortek kit.

Well, dang it, of course the Vortek kit needed some "customization" for the Chinese copy- a file and sandpaper would be required to make it all fit the way it should (perimeter of seat base was too wide). 'I don't have time for this' I'm thinking- so I compare the factory guides and spring with the pieces from the Vortek kit and end up keeping only the front and rear Vortek guides, spring, and piston seal- the rest ends up in the junkpile along with the stock parts that were removed. Lube it all up nice, reinstall the trigger parts (yes, this is easier than dinking up the safety assembly by not taking the trigger setup apart). Trigger was also a pretty good copy of the genuine Diana T05 unit.

End result, a very low recoil .177 Airhawk averaging 840-850fps after a couple dozen shots (started at 840, now at 850- so it should go up a bit more before settling out I think)- went over 1020fps on the first couple of dieseling shots before whatever remnant lube I must have gotten too close to the seal was gone.

In any event, I am quite happy with the end result. Maybe if I had wanted to take the time to size all the Vortek pieces (wouldn't have changed the power output) it might be even smoother, but I'm thinking it couldn't be much better anyways. Maybe someday I'll actually have time to go and shoot the thing other than just over a Chrony...
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Nice, been after a Air Hawk for some time... but I think I'm a fixed barrel convert now.
    BTW, this thread should be Spring rather than Pump up Guns.
    Member, Limestone Beekeepers Guild
    Duke ))))----//----------==

Doh! Moving it now...

Awesome!
    Glad you like the new toy...i thought it fired hot...but without a chronograph didn't know how much more
    BTW i didn't get into it and I got it new so it came that clean from the store...guess they put em together pretty good at the factory!
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion ...but only mine is right!
    DAVE G

If that was a factory unit that hadn't been apart, it was surprisingly clean on the mechanics (although there was alot of crap trapped in the piston seal channel).

That being said, I took about half an hour today when I was waiting for the barbecue to do its thing with dinner and decided to sight it in with the open sights. Either this thing doesn't like JSB exacts, or it's sights are quite finicky. I'm thinking a little bit of both- so I will finalize it later and see what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    Well, in celebration of the coming end of the "Registry" and the fact I had a bit of time (thank-you Sean)- I decided I should install a Vortek kit in a detuned .177 Airhawk
    Haha...Your Welcome

Now I'm so busy I haven't even had time to read the posts and see my name in lights.

Now you've got me intriqued enough to consider buying an AirHawk...Thanks a lot! Like I need another freaking toy here to make me scratch my head and walk in circles more
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SeanMP View Post
    Like I need another freaking toy here to make me scratch my head and walk in circles more

You do that, too?
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

Sadly......all the time.
    Sean

+ Reply to Thread