ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First attempt at stock making

First attempt at stock making

As the title says, this is my first ever try at making a stock. It is also quite possible that this will be my last attempt too! LOL. Having no idea what I'm doing, and only a picture in my noodle of what I want, I find myself doing alot of and. I wanted something a little different from the norm, so this is what I came up with...(so far)

The stock is for the wife's 2250, running on HPA. The 13 ci bottle will be housed in the butt portion of the stock, with a S/S brake line running from bottle to valve by going up through the inside of the stock for a little cleaner look. More on this nightmare later...

Started out by laminating 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood together, tracing some lines on, then cutting out rough shape on a bandsaw:
    Attachment 54

Next, I did a bit of shaping/smoothing out of the rough edges, plus cut out the inlay for the gun to fit:
    Attachment 53

Made the housing for the 13 ci bottle by gluing 12 pieces of 3"x4"x3/4" plywood together, then bored out the center with a 2" Forstner bit in the drill press. Rough cut the outside shape with the bandsaw:
    Attachment 55

Pic of the bottle housing glued in place. Bottom of pistol grip will be removeable so I can remove bottle later on if/when necessary:
    Attachment 56

Rough mock-up of what gun will look like when completed. Alot of elbow work yet, but you get the idea...
    Attachment 57

Will post some pics of my valve set up, altered grip frame, etc in my next post soon.

Any thoughts/suggestions so far?

Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

This looks great. Nice job--can't wait to see it finished.

Nice work - eagerly anticipating more.

The bottle inside the stock is interesting. How does it 'carry' (i.e. weight and balance)?
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Thanks for the encouragement, fellas! I guess I'm on the right track...

Eric: The balance is a little far back, but not outrageous. Thinking maybe a bit of weight (melted old pellets, shotgun shot, etc) could be put in forestock, or I might just get your brass muzzle brake. Now that I think about it, I will get the MB. If I need more counterbalance, I can add later...
    As for total weight, right now it is 6 lbs 2.4 oz

This plywood blank was supposed to be just a prototype, get the bugs worked out kinda thing, then do it all over again with a nice piece of walnut. But now I'm thinking that once everything is done, it's going to get a few coats of black paint, or truck bed liner(!), and call it done.

Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

I like it. nice design.

great job !

Excellent first attempt. Would be an excellent 4th or 5th attempt. They get easier the more you do. Bedliner paint and Bondo are your friends.

+ Reply to Thread