ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M48 .177 pellet test.

Hybrid View

M48 .177 pellet test.

Did some shooting as I have a Vortek pg2 comming. I want to compare to the current GSI (its slowing down so replacing it). The Plan was 10 shoots per target.... all shooting at 10M

When I get the vortek kit installed I want to see if accuracy is about the same or better and if its pellet preferance changes any.

JMGSIm48-177.jpg

Bruce

Where did you get the Vortek Kit?

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    Where did you get the Vortek Kit?
    I ordered it from the Vortek site... unfortunately I did not realize scopes and ammo carried the kits. I recently got an order of QB parts and m48 breech seal. Might have saved me some $

I originally thought maybe it was just the breech seal leaking, The replacement seal was fun to install but only gained me about 10-15 fps... so it was not perfect and needed to be done but not the reason for my velocity dropping off about 50 fps. When I did the breech seal I inspected everything. The Piston seal fits nice and firm still... had to get the plastic faced channel locks to pull the piston out when I tore things down. It went in firmly also... Not bad for over 50,000 shots through the GSI kit the vortek pg2 is replacing. The rest of the m48 loooks like it did when it was put together after all the polishing, deburing and lube when I did the GSI kit with my dad. When I did the breech seal I also finally got brave and did a trigger tune... I originally did the file method but was never happy with it so this time after 20 years finall got the nerve up to cut the springs... about 1.5 tuns on the sear spring and 1 on the trigger return spring. Make a huge difference could have cut more possibly but I wanted to ensure safty... I wanted to get a thiner wire spring same length as the stock on but could not fin anything...

The gun was fine velocity wise before my father-in-law borrowed it to get ride of some coons in his attick... He mentioned forgetting and leaving it cocked for part a day... I had warned him not to when he borrowed it... ohhh well accidents happen. After I got it back I noticed it was shooting slightly low... I got the chrony out and said a couple choice words.

Regards,
    Bruce

I put a James Maccari spring in my 177 cal 48 Diana 20 years ago the factory spring would break seemed like every month over sprung ,Gun still works fine ..........

The Vortek website... after ordering I noticed I could have got it from a place I recently received some qb parts and m48 breech seals.

Bruce

The problem is Vortek is supposed to refer people to the "rep" in their home country. Vortek also seems inclined to try and "deal" with customers when there is an issue instead of informing their outside 'partners'- leaving them to clean up the situation at the end of the day without any prior involvement. These are all problems- for both the regional seller and the end-use customer. Perhaps Vortek Kits won't be available in Canada much longer if this is how Vortek ('Vortek' is one guy, as an 'FYI') continues to thinks a vendor "relationship" should work.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Just got an e-mail. Vortek is sending me a new kit. I guess there is something specific so some T01's so they need to machine a different kit to fit correctly. Maybe if you have a t05/t06 it will work? Maybe that is what the problem is they are not generic for all guns?

They are fixing things and taking care of it. Just means I have to wait :(

Regards,
    Bruce

Eric, Sorry to here :( I would have ordered from you. I looked around and you run scopes and ammo? I just got an order from you not long ago. 2 m48 breech seals, scope mount a .22 QB bolt and muzzle brake. Maybe the problem is with there website. Maybe if you try to purchase from certain areas it should inform the user to use there local distributor and who they are? I would have save shipping if I would have got it at the same time as the other parts. I did not realize the breech seals were VorteK ones. I looked there and ordered from you as I like to order what I can locally and support local business.

Bruce

I got a new Vortek kit in the mail tonight. Took about 15 minutes and it was installed.

The install was much easier. Based on comparing the 2 kits side by side. The Diana Model 48 T01 kit is different than the to5/t06. I was over on the Dianawerk collective forum and there is a definite difference in the length of the latch on the T01 verse the t05/t06 piston. As a result the T01 compresses the spring a bit more and this resulted in the binding and failure to cock with the t05/t06 unit was installed.

The recoil is not as harsh either as the original kit.

I did get a peak of 990 FPS with beeman crow magnums but velocities settled into about 970 after a couple shots. I expect this was due to some of the oil int he molly used on the piston seal dieseled slightly. Cpls are doing about 1050 FPS so I definitely need heavier pellets now.

Bruce

No need to apologize- it is Vortek that does not seem to understand how to deal with customers and help them in the most efficient manner- meaning that people end up receiving goods in a delayed fashion, if there's a problem of some sort it takes three times as long to sort out- and if the problematic item was bought from one of the Regional resellers, they end up being the entity that ends up "eating it" based on how Vortek ("Tom" is his name) deals with the issue/customer.

Essentially, Vortek steps way over the line in respect to how they handle customers in areas with regional representatives. This has nothing to do with the customer- only the poorly thought-out way in which Vortek is handling its regional reps/sales and support program (i.e. very badly). Maybe he believes he is helping people- but all it's done so far generally is cause problems and upset. Everytime I come across another example of this poor way of doing business I get more uptight. I don't think there is any solution to it other than to stop selling their products- perhaps I will call Mr. Vortek before going this way, perhaps not.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

+ Reply to Thread