ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Awful news to share!!

Hi Bob,

Good to see you're up and about... I can understand why you can't use an arc welder... but a chainsaw!?!?!?

I can't wait to see your new 9mm. In fact, I'm drooling with anticipation.

Welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by maecolis View Post
    Hi Bob,

Good to see you're up and about... I can understand why you can't use an arc welder... but a chainsaw!?!?!?

I can't wait to see your new 9mm. In fact, I'm drooling with anticipation.

Welcome back.
    Actually I don't understand either. Why can't you use a welder and a chainsaw? Is the welder because of electrics screwing with the pacemaker or is it something else? The chainsaw, is it because of the physical movements involved in using it? My father had open heart surgery many years ago and after a few weeks he was pretty much able to do what he did before.

Quote Originally Posted by rsterne View Post
    Never gonna live that down !!!

Bob
    Glad you're on the mend, Bob - all the best.
    Here is some info on the chainsaw/arc welding thing; it seems the pacemaker can be affected by strong "impulse" electrical fields very close to it... like 6". Since a chainsaw can be held close to the chest... it is singled out, but of course any spark ignition engine would be as troublesome. Bob, don't go leaning over your shoebox compressor (if its gas powered), or outboard, or lawnmower, etc. It seems though, as long as you keep the field far from the implant the risk is low.
    (sorry can't get link to work, but if you google chainsaw and defrib, it comes up second)
    Member, Limestone Beekeepers Guild
    Duke ))))----//----------==

Got it! Understand now.
    Remember! Blue side up.

The arc welder is from the inductive fields.... The chainsaw is partly from the field of the ignition system (some have the sparkplug inside the hand grip).... they don't want a gas engine ignition system within 12" which is hard to maintain with a chainsaw.... The other concern with a chainsaw is if you DID get shocked (defibrillated) and collapsed into it - double jeopardy....

Most small power tools are 6" minimum from the device.... bigger ones or gas powered are 12".... The device is in my left chest, halfway between my collarbone and nipple.... Their advice about using major power tools (eg. a Lathe) was "if you could collapse into it and it could kill you, not a good idea".... but heck the same thing could apply for any kind of condition that might cause a loss of conciousness.... I suppose if you wanted to be super-safe you would never use any power tool, lawn mower, etc.etc....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

If it is a concern, there must be something you could wear- apron/bib type idea that would block electrical/magnetic fields - ?
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

I guess some sort of wire mesh that was grounded would work well.... but I'm not really that concerned and the literature they give you basically says "most power tools are OK".... I'm sure it's mostly a matter of CYA from the manufacturer and doctors and they'd rather be safe than sorry....

Bob

Hhehehehe

We could whip up a very stylish Faraday suit.

I got this nifty copper mesh from lee valley and a sewing machine

Being tethered to a ground spike could be a bit of a pain though.

But I bet your dog would think it's funnier than h$!!
    Sean

Honestly, I say do whatever your heart desires even if it don't tick right and needs help....You got yourself a defibulator and know how to use it now...lol...Oh sure we can laugh at it now. (I'm sure your wife would say different and give me sh*t) But as you know that old saying...You only live twice......No, no, that's not right, it's, you only live once.....Goes to show that some sayings came about before new technology was invented.....Juuuusssst kidd'n. Stay safe.
    As my woman says...
    " Keep a cool tool and don't let your meat loaf"
    Remember! Blue side up.

Well I used my lathe, both bandsaws, bench grinder, hand drill, and bench sander today.... everything except my 1940s drill press.... so I guess I'm good to go....

Bob

+ Reply to Thread