ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lathes

Yes now that you mention it it does look like a follow rest.

Ya a quick change is awesome Bob....I can REALLY appreciate because I have to work on both a manual gearchanger and the other that I posted this summer with the quick box....Love that gear changer
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SeanMP View Post
    and Eric has one as well (His is clean...feel free to razz him over that) and they work very well
    Shaddap! It has aluminum shavings all over the place. Mind-you the grinder has more crap built up around it than anything.

The one issue I have with it is the gear oil seeps out over time (and the side gears seem to wear quite a bit- fairly rough cut initially I imagine- alot of metal particulate inside the door).
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    Shaddap! It has aluminum shavings all over the place. Mind-you the grinder has more crap built up around it than anything.

The one issue I have with it is the gear oil seeps out over time (and the side gears seem to wear quite a bit- fairly rough cut initially I imagine- alot of metal particulate inside the door).

Mine is a bit weepy too...especially out of the gear case cover.

Try loosening up the lash a bit on the intermediate gear. It may help, it may not...I agree they are pretty rough cut out of the box.
    Sean

So this is some of the info I got...
    Q.C. Gear Box

Center Distance 24

Bed Length 43

Spindle Nose 1-1/2 -8 x #3 mt

Spindle Bore 25/32

Tailstock/ standard
    Turret

Drive Belt flat belt

Stand

Weighs approx 500lbs

So after I slept last night, I guess some sense came to me and I really can't afford to get it and I really do not have enough knowledge to run the thing. Like I said previously I could find the money but the smart thing to do would be to wait for better times and count my blessings, besides, there is always other ways to get the parts that I would need to make with a lathe from someone else....I don't know what the heck I was thinking...lol
    Any way guys, thanks for the input and sorry to have waisted your time.

Fab
    Remember! Blue side up.

I think the 25/32 bore is the kicker really. Sure it would do most anything in the AG world but the first time a buddy showed up with a ding in his Varmint barrel you would be wishing for 1'
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SeanMP View Post
    I think the 25/32 bore is the kicker really. Sure it would do most anything in the AG world but the first time a buddy showed up with a ding in his Varmint barrel you would be wishing for 1'
    LOL....Thanks for helping me rationalize, In not getting it....lol....I think it's better this way and I didn't even have to start rationalizing it to the wife...I wonder sometimes why we're still together, well, I do know why but that's a topic of disscussion on a different type of forum...lol
    Boy's and toy's.
    You know that feeling you get when you want something such as this and your brain goes all goofy trying to figure out how to get it and you know you shouldn't get it and sometimes you do get it, sometimes you don't....I hate that feeling...lol. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks and feels like that, maybe I'm sick...lol.

Fab
    Remember! Blue side up.

Fear not...I know the feeling all too well

There is a Walther that causes me to lose sleep at night
    Sean

This is one of my lathes I rescued from being sold as scrap...1929 Southbend bench lathe. It didnt look like that when I first got it..lol. Unfortunately a walther barrel wont fit inside the spindle100_0729.jpg
    For every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch

So knowing what you do now, what lathe would you guys purchase if you were to get one now? Links and pics appreciated of course!
    Confucious says: He who slings mud, often loses ground!

Remtom....That's a beauty. Southbend even. A classic name to be sure

Fab

If your really serious about getting a lathe at firesale prices keep your eye on Crown Assets Disposal.
    Sean

+ Reply to Thread