ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lathes

Lathes

Hey guys and gals

I am looking for a lathe...to make or try to make stuff and I see this on craigslist today.

????? what's your thoughts on this one if anyone knows about these????? and this one in particular.
    I'm afraid to show you the craigslist listing because there may be others out my way looking for one too and they may take it before I make my mind up.
    It's a lot of money for me at this time but then if I rationalize it, it could be a money maker in the future.....dang! I don't know what to do...???
    They are asking a price or a best offer...what do you think may be a good offer? Keeping in mind that I am broke but if I can rationalize it good enough there is always a way to find the money......again...dang!

Any way have a look at the listing and if anyone has any input or knowledge of the lathe please let me know. Or if you have any other thoughts. Or help me rationalize it...lol....The wife may not see or understand the rationalization...but she did buy me a T-shirt last year that said...Rule Number one. You can never have enough tools! Or was there some other motive/message or idea behind her giving me that T-shirt...lol. I don't know, I just said thanks and we chuckled about my garage of tools of which some have not been used yet.
    http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/tls/2859847566.html

Thanks
    Fab
    Remember! Blue side up.

not a young machine but a good quality one at that price it's a good buy
    what are the other machine you had a look at

Quote Originally Posted by poil27 View Post
    not a young machine but a good quality one at that price it's a good buy
    what are the other machine you had a look at
    Ohh crap, I don't remember. There were some of the mini's, can't remeber the names of them and there is a huge one a friend has but it's well out of my range and knowledge to use. I have been looking and not too agressively for a few months now and like I mentioned I really don't have the money and there was just something about this one in particular that caught my attension today. I may call and go have a look at this one and put the feelers out and see what's up....It don't cost anything but a little gas to go look and I'm really close.
    Remember! Blue side up.

i'm not ready to buy a lathe yet but i plan to go back to school in the next few years and get machining and gusmithing then i'll plan on tooling my shop for that :P now i have welding tools and mechanic tools

Seems a bit pricy for that age, but if it's got lots of tooling with it could be well worth it.... One BIG question is what is the through-bore of the headstock.... ie how big a piece of material will fit through the hole in the chuck and out the left hand side of the machine?.... My Atlas is a bigger lathe than that but it's handicapped by only a 3/4" bore, there are lots of time I wish it was 1" or more.... Still, you can fit just about any airgun barrel through a 3/4" hole....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

It looks like it was well taken care of and with all the tooling it looks to be a good deal......Have you looked around on KIJIJI ?
    SHAWN

It does look to be quite old but that's part of the apeal to me and from the picsm the old boy looks like he cared for his stuff. What are those two things hanging on the wall in the bottom right pic? Anyone...?
    I guess I'll give the number a call tomorrow and the ad mentions other tools also...I may find other stuff more afordable too, who knows. We'll see.
    Remember! Blue side up.

The three screw tool on the left is called a steady rest. It's an absolute must have in order to be able to say you have put the "best possible" crown on a barrel....however it takes a fair bit of experience

The other could be a copy attachment...hard to tell

As Bob says the key is the bore size....if it's smallish take a pass
    Sean

As for it's price....

with all of the tooling the price is very fair. But do you need tooling or a lathe. Most of that tooling requires years of experience to use.

The picture at the top right is the quick change gearbox. Worth it's weight in gold.

You can buy the B2227 lathe from busy bee for about $1000 on sale. But you will be manually changing gears everytime you want to cut a thread. But I have one at work and Eric has one as well (His is clean...feel free to razz him over that) and they work very well
    Sean

I think the item beside the steady rest (which mounts on the bed) is a "follower rest" (which mounts on the carriage) and is used for things like knurling (or threading?) on a long, flexible shaft.... hard to tell from the photo, but that's my guess....

BTW, Sean, my Atlas has a quick-change gearbox....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

+ Reply to Thread