I haven't had time to shoot in months- so I decided I should spend a bit of time checking a couple of the guns I haven't had the chance to fiddle with up to now.

First is the "Legacy/Genesis" with an NPSS powerplant, it still needs to be broken in, was shooting all over the place at 830fps to 890fps (.177, 8.4gr)- going lower the more it was shot- I am wondering if cold temperatures affect the pressure in a gas strut (?).

Legacy_Genesis_full.jpg Legacy_Genesis_trigger.jpg

Then came the CH-2009, which is somewhat interesting. The Challenger 2009 is Crosman's Match rifle (I got this one as a former "demo" with no sights). It has a hammerspring tensioner ("power adjuster") which, when it is at the maximum adjustment, starts to coil up the hammerspring, and the hammerspring unwinds it when the knob is released. Maximum output appears to be 520fps using 8.4gr pellets (all shots were between 511 and 519fps, most of the tested shots were 514-515fps). It doesn't use alot of air- 25 shots and the pressure went down about 200psi (2000psi complete fill pressure- like the Discovery).

Challenger2009_rear.jpg Challenger2009_full.jpg

Picture of the gauge orientation- which is typical- is posted as someone (here?) seemed to have this idea that there should be a "proper" alignment of the gauge (there isn't) on the Crosman/Benjamin PCPs.

Challenger2009_gauge.jpg

And this is all me, not the rifle- shot it at about 18 yards- the first few to the bottom left were sighting in, the rest is me standing with no support or rest with cold fingers- obviouosly I need some more trigger time...

Target Stand.jpg Target on stand.jpg

The target stand is some plywood, 2x4 scraps and is filled with carpet piled tightly from top to bottom (works well for the most part). The targets are a Crosman product and made out of a thin styrofoam- easy to see the hole when removed from the stand as they pellet knocks a section right out. I guess they weren't very popular as Crosman seems to have discontinued them this year (they worked out to about $1.50 per target- so not very cheap).