ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where to buy wood for stocks and grips??

Where to buy wood for stocks and grips??

Does anyone know of a business here in Canada where one can buy wood for stocks and/or pistol grips? I am looking for some exotic woods to work with. I don't mind ordering over the internet so location is not a factor. Price and quality would be though.

Look on the internet for any specialty wood lumber yards. Knights lumber in Guelph, Ontario would be an example. What woods are you interested in as most lumber stores will carry a few exotics.
    Confucious says: He who slings mud, often loses ground!

Here's a good one in Ontario I've dealt with for sport-related interest (archery). They get a variety of inquiries and, who knows, maybe stocks and grips.

http://amwoodinc.com/

There's a place in Stouffville Ontario called Century Mill. http://www.centurymill.com/ that also sell exotics. Finding a place to buy rifle stock blanks in Canada is almost impossible.

There is a small cabinet shop close to my home and the owner has always been easy to deal with when I wanted small pieces of exotics to build grips. I would recommend looking at shops like this in your area.

I'll throw my hat in on this and say that I have had very good service from A&M Wood. If you tell them what your doing with it they will cull for you.
    Sean

Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions. I will be following up on each and every idea I got here. I have just finished up a set of Zebrawood grips for a 2240 and I am happy enough with the results that I think I have caught the woodworking bug for sure. I will try to include a couple of pics of the grips here so hope this works. It is all new to me so bear with me on this venture.
    Attachment 49Attachment 50Attachment 51

Getting an invalid attachment notice

If your making mostly grips and you want something really exotic and fairly inexpensive you can do your own laminate layup.

Select two or three contrasting veneers and call up the folks at http://www.amwoodinc.com/default.aspx
    Tell them what your doing and that you need shorts and pieces...these are unsellable and really cheap

Then using a slow cure epoxy laminate layers of the veneer together (use three or more of the the same veneer in a layer for a good solid stripe) then press clamp the whole thing together with a sheet of wax paper on the top and bottom.

When it cures you'll have a laminate blanks that will show vivid patterning as it is shaped and will be absolutely stable in any moisture/environment
    Last edited by SeanMP; Jan 03 2012 at 12:06 PM.
    Sean

I have thought of doing that. Thanks for the tip and the link. I am going to look into this. I think that laminate grips would look good and be servicable too. Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread