ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning a barrel?

Cleaning a barrel?

Hey folks, what solvent( solution ) is everyone using to clean the barrels on your air rifles? I have heard Simple Green works, but i can't find a small bottle to try( only 1 liter bottles). Could a fella use Goo-Gone ? I have some of that on site.
    As well, what size patches fit best for .177 AND .22 cal . I have LOTS of cotton material to cut down.
    Thanks Bill

Goo Gone works fine for me. Just be sure it's all cleaned out before shooting. I use a wooden dowel on my .177 barrels with cotton patches about 1" square. I have a boresnake for my .22's, and the patches are a bit bigger-say 1 1/2" square. Experiment a bit- fit should be tight, but not overly so. Try to turn the patches as you're pushing/pulling them through. (You'll clean the rifling a bit better that way). A look down the barrel will show what direction they spiral in...

Bill

If your talking about the initial cleaning to get the preservative and other grunge and grit out I use Brakleen. Good name brand stuff not the cheap knock off that ctc et al sells. Contrary to what your first impression might be it will not hurt any synthetic seal.

It will affect some exterior plastics though

After that I don't use any cleaners really. When Im seasoning a barrel I will push felts thru as needed.

If I'm trying to remove lead streaking then I use something that will correct the problem that's causing the streaking in the first place.
    Sean

Yep, i was thinking initial cleaning, kinda :)
    What i mean is that i had not cleaned my Benjamin Classic since i recieved it from another member. I have put a full tin( 500 ) of pellets through it and it was still smoking. I used Goo Gone last night to remove a LOT of crud that was in the barrel. The first 5/6 patches came out very black. The next 3/4 were much better. When i was happy with the wet patches i put 5/6 dry ones through it. I will be curious to see if it smokes now. Bill

I guess the question is how much smoke?

If the gun was torn down by the previous owner and given a good "lube tune" with the proper greases then seeing an orange haze in the barrel and a tiny whiff of smoke is normal pretty much for the life of the lube.

If it's belching gobs of smoke then that's a different story.
    Sean

Try putting a few drops of silicone oil in the tube (through the transfer port)- hopefully this will help dilute/remove any more remaining petroleum lube (which is what it sounds like is still occurring).
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Well, i have not shot it since cleaning, but it was smoking a LOT!! The previous owner di nothing but shoot the gun , no cleaning or anything. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by FootedShaft View Post
    Well, i have not shot it since cleaning, but it was smoking a LOT!! The previous owner di nothing but shoot the gun , no cleaning or anything. Bill
    My Benjamin All-Weather Trail did the same....and Eric gave me the same advice about throwing some oil down the breech.
    It took about 1500rds to get it cleared out, but now she doesn't smoke anymore, and is as accurate as all get-out.

It'll come.
    My YouTube channel: Tactical Fail Inc.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/HammerSa...9?feature=mhee

Not sure what to think about all the different ways to clean a barrel I have a .177 GunSlick Kit
    think i got it for xmas years ago works great just use the cleaning solvent they put in the kit they put a box of 200 patches
    should last a long time get the kits at CTC about $20.00 or $30.00 the rods will do your rifle as well.
    When the kit stuff runs out then i will use some Gunk Carb Medic I put that stuff everything! ecept the plastic.
    Oh I forgot to thank the administrators for calling me Junior Im really a Senior but it makes me feel younger.

A couple things to note when talking about cleaning airguns; the rifling is typically shallower than on a powderburner, so using anything other than wood, plastic or aluminum cleaning rods (i.e. soft) risks causing issues; typical powderburner solvents intended to remove burnt residue in barrels can disintegrate seals in airguns (this may or may not be applicable if there are no seals within the barrel - i.e. a springer, but a Co2 gun with a transfer port likely has a seal down the hole somewhere).

Also, as for any "juniors" here- those 'titles' are based on the number of posts you have made, make some more and the title changes...
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

+ Reply to Thread