ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crosman 1400 Restoration

Here is how it looks with the Dark Walnut stain done....

Definitely not too dark, in fact I think just right.... If anything, the contrast will increase with the Watco Oil Finish as I rub it out....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

nice wood it gives a ritch finish and it's not oiled yet !

Not too dark at all, In fact it looks great so far. Is this another project you are going to sell? Just thought I would ask as a little birdie told me you are after a b-50/51 perhaps!
    Confucious says: He who slings mud, often loses ground!

That's some pretty nice work, Bob. How well do those old bbl's group?
    You should send pix to Industry Brand, just to give them some (pumper) ideas.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

The biggest downfall of the design, IMO, is the "firing cup" valve that increases the pressure on the trigger sear as you pump more.... The only 140/1400 that came with scope grooves was the Sears version of the 1400, this is the Crosman original.... and I can't shoot worth beans with iron sights.... I designed a breech for the 140s for a scope and got 5 from Aero-Tec (Stan) but suspect I'll never see any more of them and they are all sold.... The Benjamin 392/397 is a similar rifle but uses a modern 13XX style "smack open" valve that gets away from the trigger pull problem.... They are very powerful, but again, not designed to be scoped and require an Intermount AFAIK....

Bob

The restoration of this Crosman 1400 is completed.... The stock received seven coats of Watco Dark Walnut Danish Oil, each coat wet sanded ending with 600 grit.... It was then waxed with Dark MinWax, three coats.... which resulted in an incredibly smooth finish with a medium gloss.... Here is the results....

In addition to the rebluing, detailed above, the ports have all been brought up to at least 5/32" and the resulting velocities are 515 at 5 pumps, 610 at 8 pumps, and 660 at 10 pumps.... The trigger pull is much lighter than it was to start with, although it is very long.... I'm extremely pleased with the way it turned out.... especially when you see what I started with in the first post....

Bob

superb job

Quote Originally Posted by poil27 View Post
    superb job

X2
    Mr. sterne you do damn good work!! So what is the next one?

This is my last restoration (finally).... I'm currently working on a .25 cal conversion for my QB 78 regulated HPA (the one with the backwards tank).... and I'm going to be doing a similar conversion to a 2260.... with the plan being to compare the two when completed (kind of a faceoff).... Then I also have to get back to work on my Hayabusa.... Lots of things to do there, starting with a new, longer hammer spring and velocity adjuster, and possibly converting it to rear-cocking.... I still have a couple of other 2260 HPAs that require some attention/updating with new ideas as well.... OH! and I have a new B-51, and my Disco Double conversion kit (going on my 9mm/.308 cal) arriving shortly....

Bob

I got tired just reading your post! As always I can't wait to see how the other projects turn out, and keep us posted on your feelings about the b-51, I have been contemplating getting one from Dan as well!

+ Reply to Thread