ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New (sort of) Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk, Detuned

New (sort of) Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk, Detuned

Got these in last week, no time to put them up in the webstore (will be around $180.00 or so), but of course I had to look one over and see if it was any dang good- especially compared to the higher priced Benjamin Trail NP AW Detuned at a higher price ($249.99).

Turns out the Venom Dusk is pretty reasonable- synthetic (plastic) stock, all metal otherwise- no wood on it. Put it through the chrony, first few shots ranged from 460-490fps using 14.3gr Crosman wadcutters, but after about 10 shots, it settled out at a consistent 474-476fps. I would think after being broken in it would stay in this ballpark (there was no obvious dieseling going on, but definitely some smoke the first 8 or 9 shots).

Seems Crosman "stole" the muzzle brake from the SuperStreak (discontinued since 2010) and is using a lower-end scope than on the Benjamin's, but all-in-all it wasn't bad and isn't either 'cheap' in respect to build quality when compared to the Benjamin unit, or too expensive for what you get, at least in my opinion if I were a regular consumer.

Crosman Nitro Venom Box.jpg Crosman Nitro Venom Box2.jpg Crosman Nitro Venom Full.jpg

Crosman Nitro Venom Stock_rear.jpg Crosman Nitro Venom mountrail.jpg

Please excuse the quality of the pictures- this wasn't much of a "setup"...
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Friggin software! I've sent vbulletin two more emails about this stupid picture posting issue...

Edit: now, it seems to have corrected itself- WTF?

Geez Eric, could you go camera happy in your shop so we can see what you got there all? Whats that thumb hole stock in the case?
    For every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch

The stock in the cabinet is a Trail NP/Benjamin Classic unit- a couple people have used them on their Quests/Phantoms/NP AW's (with some minor mods for the AW).

Shop is only some display cabinets and very small- no "storefront" just more of a few items so our office doesn't look like we could be lawyers or something.

I have a detuned Nitro Venom Dusk (sorry couldn't wait got it at Wally World last Fall). I posted a fair bit about it on the other forum, and on the GTA if anyone follows those you can have a look. In a nutshell, it has settled out nicely, and benefits/suffers from the same issues as other Crosman B18/19 wire and gas springers. Mine had the ubiquitous breach lockup problem which was solved with a combination of new jam spring- shimmed, ground alive jam, brass breach washers and a new breach seal. I did some pellet testing recently and mine does ragged one-holers at 10 yards with Crosman Premier Domed 14.3 gr pellets. It doesn't like CPHP or JSB Exact Diabolo RS. I never got a Trail AW but I have shot one. The two are very similar in many respects. I'd call the Venom the "poor mans" alternative to the Trail AW. It should sell well.
    Member, Limestone Beekeepers Guild
    Duke ))))----//----------==

Here are my "test" groups:
    pellet test venom 10 yd.jpg
    Member, Limestone Beekeepers Guild
    Duke ))))----//----------==

+ Reply to Thread