I have tried a dozen times to put up pics of this build with no luck. Before I knew it, I had two builds done (grips for a 2240 and a stock for a QB78D) and still no posted pics to this forum. Now I have way too many to post, so I have uploaded a bunch to photobucket and have the link here to the album so you can take a look at what I was working on. There are a lot of pics and I am sorry but I find it impossible to get them in the proper order due to the way photobucket uploads them. I will work on a better system next time. Hope you enjoy them.

http://photobucket.com/gripsandstock

First, I did the 2240 target grips--they are Zebrawood from Iagent in Chicago. I bought them from him roughed out and I did the final shaping, fitting, and finishing. They turned out fairly well which encouraged me to do more.

I ordered a stock from Richard's Microfit in California (and, contrary to rumour, their stocks are all made in California because I checked) for my QB78D in Desert Sunset Laminate. This came semi-inletted and roughed out ready to be worked on. I finished it and then began the final oil finishing of the stock. I lost count after 30 operations of sanding followed by oiling each time. I started with 80 grit and worked my way up through 120, 180, 220, 320, 400, and finally 600. I did about 4 operations at each grade of paper. This is because I started with a Mineral Spirits to oil mix of 4 to 1. Used each grade of paper at the 4 to 1 mix and then reapeated everything with 3 to 1, then 2 to 1, then 1 to 1. Finally, after lots of inspection and fixing spots, I ended with 4 separate coats of the pure oil allowing each to dry and then I buffed the stock after each final oil coat. At the last, I put a couple of drops in my hand and handrubbed the oil into the stock. It really did only take a couple of drops for this operation. After drying I buffed a last time and set it aside to dry thoroughly before putting the action and barrel back on it. Then I buffed it one last time.

I installed the bipod this morning, put a scope on it, and I think she passes inpection. Now, as long as she shoots close to as good as she looks I will be very happy. I'll be bringing her to the Feb 25 shoot at Olds and we'll see how she does.

Thanks for looking!