ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2240 and QB78D Custom Grips and Stock

2240 and QB78D Custom Grips and Stock

I have tried a dozen times to put up pics of this build with no luck. Before I knew it, I had two builds done (grips for a 2240 and a stock for a QB78D) and still no posted pics to this forum. Now I have way too many to post, so I have uploaded a bunch to photobucket and have the link here to the album so you can take a look at what I was working on. There are a lot of pics and I am sorry but I find it impossible to get them in the proper order due to the way photobucket uploads them. I will work on a better system next time. Hope you enjoy them.

http://photobucket.com/gripsandstock

First, I did the 2240 target grips--they are Zebrawood from Iagent in Chicago. I bought them from him roughed out and I did the final shaping, fitting, and finishing. They turned out fairly well which encouraged me to do more.

I ordered a stock from Richard's Microfit in California (and, contrary to rumour, their stocks are all made in California because I checked) for my QB78D in Desert Sunset Laminate. This came semi-inletted and roughed out ready to be worked on. I finished it and then began the final oil finishing of the stock. I lost count after 30 operations of sanding followed by oiling each time. I started with 80 grit and worked my way up through 120, 180, 220, 320, 400, and finally 600. I did about 4 operations at each grade of paper. This is because I started with a Mineral Spirits to oil mix of 4 to 1. Used each grade of paper at the 4 to 1 mix and then reapeated everything with 3 to 1, then 2 to 1, then 1 to 1. Finally, after lots of inspection and fixing spots, I ended with 4 separate coats of the pure oil allowing each to dry and then I buffed the stock after each final oil coat. At the last, I put a couple of drops in my hand and handrubbed the oil into the stock. It really did only take a couple of drops for this operation. After drying I buffed a last time and set it aside to dry thoroughly before putting the action and barrel back on it. Then I buffed it one last time.

I installed the bipod this morning, put a scope on it, and I think she passes inpection. Now, as long as she shoots close to as good as she looks I will be very happy. I'll be bringing her to the Feb 25 shoot at Olds and we'll see how she does.

Thanks for looking!

Both sets look tremendous! Well done!

That QB stock looks like it would be really comfortable to shoulder. She's a beauty for sure, congrats!

Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, the QB stock fits like a glove. It is heavier than I expected but then that is a help to holding it steady I guess.

Absolutely gorgeous. Well done!

Does the Richards microfit come pre inletted for the QB?

Edit....Lol. I answered my own question. I have never seen it listed before. Thats awesome!
    Last edited by SeanMP; Jan 30 2012 at 12:34 PM.
    Sean

Yes, it comes all inletted and ready to go. The fit was perfect and nothing in that area had to be touched as it fit like a glove. They were great to deal with but we had to wait about 10 weeks fro delivery. You send payment when they are ready to ship so you aren't out the money while you wait for the stock to come. Shipping took about 10 days so that was okay. Great people to deal with and they do make their stocks in the USA. I am thinking of doing another one soon.

+ Reply to Thread