ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nova Scotia...well water arsenic PSA.

Nova Scotia...well water arsenic PSA.

Hey, fellas.

I had an interesting email today from a bud regarding the fact that his well water is giving him more arsenic than he is supposed to have, i.e.; (200 PPB vs the 10 PPB that is mandated as the max acceptable level).

Long story short...get your well tested. It's cheap as frig, and if you plan on living long-term, it may be worth it.

Cheers,

Hammer Sandwich.
    My YouTube channel: Tactical Fail Inc.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/HammerSa...9?feature=mhee

thanks bro that's a eye opener

I'm not sure how much these things hurt people if they are not drinking the water from their well (?)

The water around me is generally pretty good- but as I have no filtration or such on the system, we don't drink it. If I were to start drinking it, then I think I would go fairly all-out on it- particulate filter, UV and reverse osmosis. Then the question becomes- would that be enough? Does something like arsenic get removed by reverse osmosis (it's primary function is heavy metal removal and such)?
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    ..... Does something like arsenic get removed by reverse osmosis (it's primary function is heavy metal removal and such)?
    Generally, yeah.

Something as simple as a 5-micron filter can get rid of most nasties and sediment, but from what I've been reading, arsenic is best removed with some type of filtration media, (activated charcoal, I think). Sh!t....even a brita on the end of your tap will solve most problems.

That being said, even high levels of arsenic and heavy metals in your water usually won't cause you problems until exposed to them for years and years and years.

But, as said above, it is best to go with a filtration, or R/O system if on a well....you never know what's seeped into the ground, (or exists naturally).

Just a reminder...... you dont have to drink it, it can be absorbed through your skin if you shower/bath in it.

Sure- but the absorbtion through skin would be magnitudes less than drinking it directly, generally, I would expect.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Quote Originally Posted by notec View Post
    Just a reminder...... you dont have to drink it, it can be absorbed through your skin if you shower/bath in it.
    That's true, but the levels have to be pretty high (>500 PPB) for absorption.

Still not all that high, but after years and years of it, things can build up.

yea body can't prosses hevay metals so it acumulate and can become troublesom over the years

+ Reply to Thread