ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In what way is my Crosman de-tuned?

In what way is my Crosman de-tuned?

Hello good people, not looking to break any rules or Canadian laws by any means. Just as someone who likes to know how and why things work, wondering what specifically is de-tuned about my new Crosman 7-CF11NP-SX ?
    Also any other interesting info you may know about this air rifle, I’m new to the air rifle scene.
    Thanks, looking forward to learning more from you folks

The rifle may be detuned a number of different ways- lower-pressure gas strut installed, different length piston (i.e. change amount of air movement as a result), vent holes drilled in the piston, or any combination of these- you would need to take it apart, look things over and put tension on the strut (i.e. determine how much force is required to compress it fully) to see what was done on your specific rifle. All the rifles of this platform are actually made in China for Crosman, and the Chinese assembly line will alter the detune method depending on what parts they have available at any given moment, and as long as it is below 495fps (often, things are closer to 450fps) and is of sufficient quality otherwise, Crosman accepts it.

If you want to upgrade it to its full-power state at some point (i.e. when you have a PAL if you don't have one already), you can use this kit, which contains all the parts that may be altered/changed in a detuned rifle: http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/...pair-kit-p-837
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

AirGunEric, thanks that’s super interesting. I had read about the various ways rifles were detuned, but figured there was more of a rhyme or reason for what method was used! I’ll take a look inside, although it’s hard to say I’ll know exactly what I’m looking at as I’ve got no experience or frame of reference for this particular equipment. Looking forward to learning more as I go. All the best to you

Also, does this rifle have an actual “name”? I took a look at the link, which said it was for Nitro Venom and some other models. Wondering if there’s something I can call this thing beyond the numbers and letters, also if anyone can tell me what the different numbers and letters are indicating in 7-CF11NP-SX
    Thanks again, I’m enjoying this learning curve with the generosity of folks sharing knowledge!

Nope- the model numbers are whatever Crosman decides to put on them. The platform has been used on 20-30 models Crosman has sold over the last 15-20 years, including the Quest, Phantom, Optimus, Classic 22 and others, then the standard 'NP' models (NOT NP2 or NP XL models, they are physically different). The rifle you have appears to be called an "F11"- which should have been on the box it came in if this is the case.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

+ Reply to Thread