ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Purchasing my first air gun, could use some recommendations.

Purchasing my first air gun, could use some recommendations.

Mostly for target shooting in the basement, and for lugging up north every once and a while. Under 500 FPS and under about $250-300. I'm looking for something that isn't too loud, and is of decent enough quality to last a year or two until I have a chance to get my pal. I've narrowed it down to the following brands and models, with the Diana 21 Panther currently topping the list. In no particular order, what I've been considering: Diana 21 panther, Umarex Surge, Ruger Air Hawk .177, Benjamin .22, Stoeger x5, Gamo Hornet. Any other brands would be greatly appreciated as well.

You can do as well as the Diana, and better than the others you have listed with this: http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/...-detuned-p-985
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Quote Originally Posted by AirGunEric View Post
    You can do as well as the Diana, and better than the others you have listed with this: http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/...-detuned-p-985
    Thanks. Considering the price tag I may just go with the Diana to hold me off until I get my PAL and save some cash up. I know it could take a tree rat with ease pretty well anywhere vital, but would a .22 at 495 FPS with lead hollow points be able to take a racoon humanely with a head shot? I've found a place near by that sells detuned gamos, so I think it's just between a 21 panther or a Gamo big cat. Or I could shell out the extra $100 and get a norica. Thanks again!

The difference is, when you get the PAL, you can upgrade the Norica to its full-power version with a kit: http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/...air-kit-p-1010

-which you cannot do with the Diana as it is at its maximum power level, i.e. not "detuned", already- and good luck getting Gamo parts in Canada (and they will be significantly more expensive if ordered/brought in from the US). The Gamo is also less accurate than the Diana or the Norica, in any state- detuned or otherwise.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

A 22 cal @ 495 fps is around 7-8 ft pounds of energy, at best you will piss of that raccoon or shoot its eye out. Those are tough critters.

Diana 21 would be my choice, good quality guns.

+ Reply to Thread