Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
The newest forum is building very slowly, but already considerably more active than this one. Why? Attitude in part. It has a different feel to it. Probably borne out of rebellion, folks sharing that space exactly because they left CAF for whatever reasons.
And that is exactly the pattern all new Canadian airgun forums have followed from 2007 onward- a whole bunch of activity at the start, then the 'novelty' of it wears off and it ends up 'dead' within a year or so.

This is exactly why I am saying I do not understand why people must create 'new' when alternatives do exist. There have been at least 4 other Canadian airgun forums in the last 10 years, one of which was moderately successful for at least a couple years until the operator left/deserted it for personal reasons (it was getting a bit slower prior to that as a result of the main forum of which we speak taking more and more traffic as it did not really address the types of questions 'noobs' typically had). All of these forums had people contribute their efforts, then effectively dried up- and my main point to this is that if and when people 'gave up' on their forums they could have allowed someone else to absorb their content (posts) and all of the effort wouldn't have gone to waste- there would be a repository for it and enough content to draw in new people to hopefully achieve the required numbers. By 'required numbers' it appears to be essentially the same for any forum- 50 or so active posters, a couple hundred sporadic posters and everyone else is merely transient, temporary traffic. Look at the 'old' CAF- this is likely (I don't go around there and haven't for at least a couple years) exactly what it has right now, as it did 5 years ago and 10 years ago (as does virtually every active online forum out there, larger ones have more). If this level/volume of posters cannot be achieved and maintained- the forum will die. I have long since recognized this is the case here, but the forum will remain as a stubborn alternate if/when people ever want to make use of it.