ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wow

Hybrid View

Not advertised or promoted- it's mainly acting as a 'backup' for the day when the main Canadian forum owner has a meltdown or such...which may or may not ever occur.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

A newer forum is building content and membership a little at a time. Some of us are there because the atmosphere isn't as, well, stifling as another forum. Some are there by invitation. Others just stumbled upon it. A nice little place,
    http://airgunscanada.freeforums.net/

Airgun Guild based out of California seems to be pleasant as well. A bit busier, but still has a small town feel to it and a lot of interesting discussions and members. Like the above, a fair bit of membership overlap.
    http://airgunguild.com/
    I check here every month or two but rarely see anything new, so not a lot of point checking more frequently or contributing more content. Over the last 17 years I've seen quite a few forums go sideways then vanish, taking many hundreds of thousands of my words with them along with many millions from other members - mostly tech forums. It's become easier these days to see when it becomes unfruitful to continue contributing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    I check here every month or two but rarely see anything new, so not a lot of point checking more frequently or contributing more content. Over the last 17 years I've seen quite a few forums go sideways then vanish, taking many hundreds of thousands of my words with them along with many millions from other members - mostly tech forums.
    And there, just to mention it, is the proof of my argument- anyone can create a 'free' forum in less than two hours, drag a few people from other forums over, and make it look like a going concern- for a while. What should have differentiated this place from such 'freebies' is that I paid good money for this software and spent dozens of hours initially setting it up and posting content in the main page/initial screens- as in I was 'invested' in it. Part of the reason software was purchased was that then it could not simply 'disappear' like others can if their freebie forum provider dries up or they just walk away because they really don't have anything 'invested' in it. I have full control over the database (most freebie places do not)- so I can ensure posts stay around forever- somewhere- here, another forum, anywhere someone has the ambition to import them if/when the time comes (i.e. like my example above about integrating the data from this and two other forums I have the data on, or my offers to absorb the data from other defunct Canadian forums).

I do understand where you are coming from Girard- you can only put out so much before it seems pointless to continue doing so in another 'new' environment.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

+ Reply to Thread