I got a chance to do some velocity testing at 50 yards today, so I was able to calculate the Ballistics Coefficient for the new NOE Bob's Boattails.... I tested five bullets, the RN and HP version of the Lyman 57902 bullet for .25 ACPs, the BBT I designed for LBT Moulds, and the new BBT I designed for NOE.... I also tested the JSB King pellets.... I used two (calibrated) chronographs, at 1 yard and 51 yards from the muzzle, and then calculated the BC, corrected for the pressure, temperature, and altitude of the tests, to NPT conditions.... Here are the results....

The difference in the BC with the boattail bullets is significant.... about 30-33% improvement compared to the flat based .25 ACP bullet from the Lyman mould.... The new NOE bullets had an 11% better BC than the almost identical BBT I cast using the LBT moulds, which have a smaller Meplat.... This confirms that there is no disadvantage to having a Meplat as large as 70% on relative short bullets, as proven many years ago by Elmer Keith.... It is interesting what happened with the 25 gr. JSB King pellets.... The way my Disco Double was tuned for the testing today, it blasted the Kings out at over 1200 fps.... What was astounding is that they arrived at 50 yards going only a bit faster than the bullets.... This confirms two things.... 1. That pellets have a poor BC.... and 2. that Supersonic velocities cause pellets to slow down at an extreme rate.... At 50 yards, the Bob's Boattails still had about 78 FPE of energy, but the Kings were down to just 43 FPE....

I then proceeded out to the ranch where I do my Varmint hunting.... I wanted to see how the 47.8 gr. NOE HP Bob's Boattail performed.... All I can say is, that headshots are no longer required, in fact the recovery rate is greater with a shot to the chest.... Not only do you have a much bigger target, but the bullet does a huge amount of damage as it passed through the quarry.... accompanied by a large spray of blood, clearly visible in the scope, and a loud WHACK! as the bullet hits.... Photos of the exit wounds on a Marmot and a Ground Squirrel, both taken at about 50 yards, will be in the hunting gate....

Bob