I did some penetration testing today in my standard media, which is clear "Melt and Pour" Soap, cast into blocks.... This material will stop a HV .22LR RN bullet in less than 11", and shows expansion of HollowPoint bullets well enough to photograph the cavity, and allow the bullet to be recovered.... It is harder than Ballistics Gel, but the wound cavity retains its shape after impact, and it's nowhere near as hard as Paraffin Wax or Phonebooks.... Here is the comparision between the 50.8 gr. FN and the 47.8 gr. HP, both shot at 100 FPE....

The FN bullet penetrated 155 mm (6.1") and the HP penetrated only 85 mm (3.3") but created a much wider wound channel.... Here is the cavity created by the HP bullet, which broke into 6 pieces....

and here are the recovered bullets.... The FN expanded to larger than bore size.... The HP expanded well, with the nose portion coming apart....

Although the HP cavity is only 1/8" in diameter and about 3/16" deep, it certainly does its job.... I am very pleased with how these bullets performed....

Bob