ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PCP on other then air or co2?

PCP on other then air or co2?

OK shot springer for a long time, now need to get PCP (.25). Since I am new here I think I should be allow at least "one" dumb question so here it is.

Can I charge a PCP with a compressed gas other then air or CO2?

I know that I would have to regulate the pressure from my bottles, but I have that covered.
    Pigeon hunting

No Season, No Limits, No rules!

You can use Nitrogen (a good choice), or Argon (although the performance will be less than air).... or Helium.... On NO condition use Oxygen, any small remnant of any lubricant inside the gun can explode violently....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Quote Originally Posted by rsterne View Post
    You can use Nitrogen (a good choice), or Argon (although the performance will be less than air).... or Helium.... On NO condition use Oxygen, any small remnant of any lubricant inside the gun can explode violently....

Bob
    I was thinking of Nitrogen or helium, I can get them in tanks with a 6000 psi limit. The PCPs I have been looking at are 3000 PSI max so I will have to step it down. If I can't find a way then I'll just get a scuba Tank and use air for now... thanks.
    Pigeon hunting

You already know that filling from a 6000 psi tank into a 3000 psi gun is dangerous if not done carefully.... Most in that situation would either get the appropriate regulator (about $400).... or a "slow-fill" valve that has a restrictor upstream of the valve and gauge so that you have very fine control over the fill rate, and just watch the gauge like a hawk.... Most 4500 psi fill setups use the latter....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Quote Originally Posted by rsterne View Post
    You already know that filling from a 6000 psi tank into a 3000 psi gun is dangerous if not done carefully.... Most in that situation would either get the appropriate regulator (about $400).... or a "slow-fill" valve that has a restrictor upstream of the valve and gauge so that you have very fine control over the fill rate, and just watch the gauge like a hawk.... Most 4500 psi fill setups use the latter....

Bob
    I can get the regulator off the shelf, and the bottle are already hanging around the shop. I am leaning toward the scuba Tank, as it will be easier and less headaches.
    Pigeon hunting

I can get them in tanks with a 6000 psi limit. The PCPs I have been looking at are 3000 PSI max so I will have to step it down. If I can't find a way then I'll just get a scuba tank..

+ Reply to Thread