ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long distance shooting, how do you feel about wind?

Sean, thats a good question, this is the only place I have to shoot long range and I am sure the turbulance caused from the wind flowing around the trees and builds causes some very inconsistent gusts. I suppose that could explain alot of it, the wind moving in from the right has to flow through a line of spruce trees, where as coming in from the left there is the house and two garages plus a bunch of trees. Its probably very likely the wind coming off the roofs creates a down draft? and thats where I see the massive elevation changes.

[QUOTE=MSEO1;908]I was playing around with ChairGun looking at an 18 fpe 0.22 at a range of 150 yards. The terminal energy appears to be around 2.5 fpe. My bet would be that you could hit the coyote but it would only annoy it. Having said that, if we assume that a Red Ryder has the advertised 350 fps with a 5.1 grain BB, it is generating 1.39 fpe. Now, refer to that fine documentary film, A Christmas Story, which warns us that a Red Ryder will "shoot your eye out". If we assume that a Coyote's eye is no tougher than a kids, the 2.5 fpe terminal energy would seem to be able to shoot the Coyote's eye out. [/QUOTE

LOL...shoot your eye out...lol
    If I remember correctly on the Myth Busters they did a show where they were doing the myth of shooting a bullet into the air and when it fell back to earth it had killed someone. So as per usual they did some math to figure out the terminal velocity of the bullet, and I don't remember the caliber and I don't remember the final outcome whether the myth was busted or if it was plausible...??

So if we take your math into account, well, I guess, I'd like to see this vid of the guy shooting that coyote........and clear this up.

Perhaps it would be interesting to investigate the Magnus effect on a rotating object in the wind.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect

nice wikki

I was hoping some one would bring that up :) For a while a thought maybe that was a good diagnosis for what I have been seeing, however sean kind of opened my eyes to turbulance on my little range there.

I have a new buddy at work who invited me to come fly my big nitro rc helicopters on his acreage when it warms up, kind of wanting to throw in the idea of shooting too, maybe I can eliminate the turbulance variable and see what pure wind does.

Has anyone else noticed wind interferrence from the left hand side of your clock wise spinning shot causes more trouble then from the right?
    Sounds like you are seeing the results of spin induced "lift" on the pellet (Magnus effect) from the crosswind.... It can cause not only a shift in the vertical POI, but also a disruption in accuracy due to pellet "yaw"....

Bob
    Last edited by rsterne; Jan 21 2012 at 12:46 PM.
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

+ Reply to Thread