ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HiPac Safety Admission

HiPac Safety Admission

Finally, after several months, a back-handed announcement from "Rodent's Rapture" (maker of the HiPacs) on the HiPac Owners Forum....

http://www.network54.com/Forum/66565...n+the+website-

From that link....
    Apparently my machinist drilled a lot of them (extensions?) with a bigger bore than the design which thinned the o-ring channel. As you read you'll hear what you hear, so for comfort sake here it is. The o-ring channel OD 0.672". ID is 0.578" for a grand difference of 0.094" or .047 wall thickness, which ain't a problem, as the AG gods profess their expertise in all things AG related. Funny that nobody"s asked to return them. Go figure.
    I don't know why the Forums should have to do the Rat's work for him.... but this appears to be an admission that some HiPacs and/or Extensions have a wall thickness under the O-ring groove less than 0.047", which "ain't a problem", according to the manufacturer.... SOOOOOOOOOOOO.... now we have an "official" tolerance, below which it appears that you should return your HiPac and/or Extension, as suggested above....

As to the comment that "Funny that nobody's asked to return them. Go Figure.".... perhaps if there had been an admission that there was indeed a problem with some HiPacs and/or Extensions instead of months of denial.... we could have laid this matter to rest a LOONNNGGGG time ago.... JMO.... In any case, if you missed it.... I repeat what I read from the above, from the Rat's Forum....

IF YOUR HIPAC and/or EXTENSION MEASURES LESS THAN A 0.047" WALL THICKNESS.... A TOTAL OF 0.094" DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE BOTTOM DIAMETER OF THE O-RING GROOVE AND THE ID OF THE TUBE.... RETURN IT TO THE MANUFACTURER FOR A REPLACEMENT !!!

New website link.... On the HiPac page.... http://www.powermaxhipac.com/5--hipac-s.html

you will find this statement....
    2240/2250 Only

New parts with ​smaller bore/thicker wall

Due to manufacturing error all other HiPAC models are discontinued until further notice.
    So it appears the thin wall does not just impact the Extensions.... but not having ever used a HiPac I will leave it to those who have to determine if there is a safety issue....

Bob
    Last edited by rsterne; Mar 02 2016 at 05:39 PM.
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

+ Reply to Thread