ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grizzly .30 cal Repeater - Regulated PCP

Grizzly .30 cal Repeater - Regulated PCP

About a year ago I was asked to help prototype a .30 cal Repeater based on the XS-60c for the inventor of modding them to use MRod magazines.... We spent the summer discussing the project and collecting parts, and here is the final result....

There is a thread on the GTA detailing the development of this project, starting here.... http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/...opic=59114.780

The tank is a 22CI / 3000 psi regulated at 2200 psi with a Ninja regulator.... It has a steel tube right through the receiver, with all the loads take by the tube.... I have hogged out the valve, made a new hammer with double the travel, fitted a longer spring and preload adjuster, and I'm using the 7-shot .30 cal magazines converted by AirGunLabs from .25 cal MRod units.... The barrel is the one the Sean and I designed, made by Mike at TJ's, and sleeved with a carbon fibre tube and fitted with a Hatsan Air Stripper.... During testing I tethered the gun at 2900 psi and achieved 115-120 FPE with pellets and 138 FPE with 70 gr. bullets.... Now regulated, here is the performance....

The gun weighs under 7 lbs. without scope, and to save you converting the above velocities to FPE, it's 92-94 FPE with the pellets and 110 FPE with the 70 gr....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Spilled Milk
    Whoa! Now that's as deadly as a chemically propelled firearm. That's the kind of airgun I'd say "you need a PAL for that!" Do you do much hunting? What size game can you legally (and possibly) go for with a 30 cal. airgun? One more question actually, how loud is it? Just out of interest, is it any louder then a subsonic round being fired from a .22? I've never even heard of a subsonic .30 cal round! Mods like this are super cool. They are like the stuff of "secret agents" and "covert operators" right out of "the movies." Awesome to see! Totally awesome.

LOUD!.... Yeah, about like a subsonic .22LR or louder.... The gun should be capable of Coyote size game or similar....

Bob

Spilled Milk
    "Coyote size game " That's a serious 60 grain subsonic rifle! Looks super cool too btw. Nice barrel and stock. Totally inspiring stuff.

I finally got a chance to let the Grizzly stretch it's legs today.... It was one ragged hole to groups you could cover with a quarter at 50 yards with both types of pellets tried, and at 100 yards there was a noticeable difference between the Daystate 50 gr. and FX 45 gr. pellets, with the FX performing slightly better.... Here is a 5 shot group from the bench at 100 yards, 970 fps.... Small squares are 1/2", large black squares are 2"....

I measures 1.30" C-T-C, so I'm very pleased.... It has the same trajectory, and the same scope (Hawke 3-12 x 44 SF) as my 2260 and 2560 HPA Varmint rifles, and is sighted in the same, all three being zeroed at 35 yards.... The POI is about 1 MilDot low at 50 yards, 2.5 Dots low at 75 yards, and the aim point is the top of the post (5 Dots low) at 100 yards on all three rifles, at 12X.... so I will be able to switch between rifles depending on the size of the quarry.... I'm really looking forward to introducing the Grizzly to Mr. Marmot in the near future....

Bob

"Mr. Marmot"? Is there one specific marmot giving you grief?

I suppose I won't know the sex until after I connect.... local rancher has quite a few he needs thinned out....

Bob

+ Reply to Thread