I am pretty new to airguns but not shooting and wanted to get something I can shoot at the house. After doing a good bit of reading I stumbled across the Crosman 22xx series of guns. I like to modify things and found that this model works well with that mentality so this leads me to my next question. Is this a good gun for general use. Ill be using it for target shooting and maybe shooting an occasional snake if necessary. I like accuracy and the ability to make some parts to improve it.

This leads to yet another couple questions. What caliber is better for what I want to do .177 or .22? I keep seeing where people have or have cut their barrels to 14.5". That isnt an option as far as buying one so what is the deal? Currently 10",18" and 24" are the options. I know with .22 rimfire rifles we found that 16" was about he best barrel length for velocity and after that you tend to start slowing it down since the .22 rimfire doesn't have much powder. If that is the case here then it would make sense that you would want something a little shorter for a CO2 propellant since it isnt as powerful. So long story short, what barrel length is good to go with?

For those of you with this airgun is there anything good to look into changing right off? I know the trigger needs work but thats an easy fix. If im looking at this right does it NOT come with a rear sight unless you get the target peep sight?

Thanks for any help.