ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xisico XS60C- finally...

Xisico XS60C- finally...

Finally got some Xisico XS60C's in, and had to pull one apart to investigate.

It seems it is not the Industry Brand factory putting these out- more likely BAM or one of the two smaller, relatively unknown Chinese factories.

Valve/Hammer design is the basic Crosman 160 (and Industry Brand QB78 series) style, but with a slightly smaller valvestem and a cut-open base to allow maximum Co2 flow into the valve.

The rifles are "advertised" at 530fps- which is with alloy pellets- they shoot under 500fps using normal-weight 14.3gr pellets. However, based on typical Chinese QC- of the three units I measured, one was 470fps (at 65*F), another 485fps, the last was "hot" at 515fps- so I have to measure every one of them before shipping as "detuned" (giant pain in the you-know-what).

The are a bit of an odd design in respect to disassembly- the trigger block detaches from the bottom- with the stock still on- the block must come off to remove the stock from the receiver (rear of tube nests partially inside the stock. The rifle has an auto-engaging safety (slide bar on side of trigger block). As a result of the slide bar on the right-hand-side of trigger block, it really is a right-handed product, not so much ambidextrous- which makes it fairly obvious that no one who had anything to do with the design was left-handed (I am not left-handed but know a few people that are, so this is inconvenient for lefties).

Disassembly is a bit different, but I found it easier than the Industry Brand QB/AR type products- the cocking pin unscrews from the hammer and must come out the bottom to remove the bolt- making it pretty easy to do. Weird thing is a little threaded block riding around a channel in the hammer (pulled out to the bottom) for one of the screws that holds on the trigger block- not difficult to figure out, but nonetheless a bit strange I thought. The barrel is held in by a fair-sized single setscrew and, would you believe, assisting in keeping the barrel tight in the breech are the rear-sight screws coming through the breech and sitting on flats machined in the barrel. Barrel removal is easier than most rifles- take off rear sight, remove setscrew and pull- the transfer port has no sleeve- it has an o-ring on either side of the port holes (there are 3 around the circumference of the barrel) to seal it up. Barrel is 14.5mm in diameter. Looking at the layout of things, a bit of work and the Co2 flow could be increased rather easily through the port on the valve and in the barrel (not advising this be done, would likely bring it well above 500fps- especially with its barrel length (stated below).

The rifle overall feels solid- aluminum breech, steel tube, thick plastic barrel band and the trigger block casing is plastic as well (all internals are steel). Weight- 2.4kg (5.3lbs), barrel is 21.5" in length from muzzle to loading port, overall length is 40", LOP is 14" from trigger blade to stock butt. Wood quality is better than most Chinese "unbranded" products (by this I mean rifles not made with major manufacturers names on them- i.e. Crosman, Ruger, whatever). Interesting as well, the bolt is chrome-plated- not at all common on Chinese products- so some additional expense was made on this (chrome plated bolt and aluminum receiver are not at all common on this sort of thing).

Interesting feature- the cap has a built-in degasser- unscrew its hood (clockwise- i.e. reverse thread) then unscrew the knob (regular counter-clockwise to unscrew) and it vents the Co2, slowly.

Also, it only uses 6 seals- less than other Co2 rifles (picture below) two for the valve, one for the Co2 cap, two for the barrel/transfer port, one for the bolt. Factory o-rings are quite 'squishy'- i.e. less than 70D- so I will put together seal kits for them using normal 70D o-rings in the event these weaken over time.

Cocking is a bit stiff- but it seems likely that like other Chinese Co2 rifles- this will get easier over time.

Can't test it for accuracy at the moment, but they have very good looking factory crowns on the barrels (unlike many Chinese-made products) so I expect it will be fairly reasonable- i.e. at least akin to the Industry Brand QB7x Co2 products.

Some pictures:

Xisisco XS60_Main.jpgXS60C Parts.jpgXS60C Bolt_Hammer.jpgXS60C Valve.jpgXS60C Co2cap.jpgXS60C Triggerblock.jpgXS60C seals.jpg

Nice looking gun, I like it....thanks for the review!

Even though they are still plastic, the bbl band looks much beefier (better) than the QB/AR ones.

How is the tube attached to the breech? Speaking of the breech, is that a dovetail rail I see on top? (can't really tell from pic)

Oh, what the hell, may as well ask one more question - is the trigger 1 or 2 stage? Adjustable?
    Last edited by sholo; Nov 30 2013 at 04:24 PM.
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

The barrel band is definitely beefier than the QB's- beefiest plastic band I have ever come across. As a comparison it is about 4 times the thickness of a plastic QB band.

I started to investigate the tube situation, before determining it is press-fit into the breech- so I would have to suggest some amount of pulling is going to be required for any sort of swapping. It is a dovetail rail on the breech- 3.5" of rail on the rear, 3" on the front if the sight is removed.

I did not take the trigger block apart- but there are no external adjustments and it is a single-stage unit. The pull pressure is controlled by a spring behind the blade, so this would be easy enough to modify- not sure about the internals.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

Nice review of the platform Eric. I have had this rifle on my must-have list for 2+ years and I will get one as soon as my honey-do list is completed to her satisfaction.
    The rifle is also sold by Umarex in the USA in a plastic stock with a fitted silencer as the "Fusion", Pyramid Air's BB Peltier has a 4-part Blog on it that is quite informative as well.
    In addition, MM at Flying Dragon has posted on the GTA quite a bit about the XS60 itself. It seems that any of the problems associated with the end cap leaks are easily remedied. I'm not 100% certain, but if I read all the posts/blogs correctly, between the lines, the end cap is not always assembled correctly from the factory. In particular, the piercing end needs to be tightened onto the body completely, otherwise the big O ring won't be deep enough into the tube at the point the CO2 cartridge is pierced, and that causes leaks. Also, the O-ring itself (as Eric noted) is squishy and swells - these need replacement with the right material, EPDM for example which is an easy fix. The trigger is adjustable, but you need to do some filing of the safety tab to make the adjustment - this from MM.
    Cant wait to get one (of course I will wait, but....)
    Member, Limestone Beekeepers Guild
    Duke ))))----//----------==

Upon encountering a couple leaks and having to manually detune some of the units and finding other interesting bits (for example, it appears the tube may threaded and 'screws' into the breech- but I have yet to verify completely)- perhaps I should have read the owners manual before posting my first (above)- because sure enough, there is a trigger adjustment screw (hex head) hiding on the rear of the trigger block, behind the blade.

As for leaks or otherwise- none will be present on any units we ship- I have made sure all are good and any that had issues were solved. All have been test-fired, detuned if/as required, and packed back in the boxes. The idea of a re-seal is always good on Chinese products, and I will have a seal kit available ($11.99) with proper 70D buna seals.

And, of course, unless Umarex removes the 'suppressor' for Export markets- the 'Fusion' won't be appearing in Canada- so it looks like the "native" XS-60C is what it's going to be for Canada.

I also noted a couple reviews of the "original" XS-60C talking about leaks and inconsistent safety engagement- I have sorted out any leak issues on the rifles, and have yet to see the safety not engage on any of the units- so it appears the QC has improved since those older reviews were published.

Eric, any idea on hpa conversion mods?
    For every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch

Other than using a bulk-fill cap like on a QB (same cap, actually) and either connecting to a regulated bottle or pumping it to a maximum of 1500-psi, there are no other options currently for HPA.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

So... maybe some options here. Nice project base I am thinking.

Can someone provide me with a photo of the right side of this airgun?

Don't have a picture, but it is essentially the same as the left-side but with a slot for the bolt handle that runs from the stock edge to about 1.5" forward, the bolt handle (black) and the safety back-forth switch immediately above the trigger blade on the housing.

+ Reply to Thread