ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Next step for the Hayabusa

Next step for the Hayabusa

Over this winter I plan to continue with the development of my Hayabusa project gun by building a .457 rifle and a .410 shotgun version.... It is my hope for them to share a common valve, main tube and hammer, and a 500cc 250 bar (3625 psi) tank.... They will, of course, have different breeches.... Here is the ammo for the .410....

The shell has been shortened from 2.5" to 1.75" and the primer hole drilled out to 11/32".... The shot cup holds 223 grains of #7.5 shot (0.51 oz) full to the top (about 180 pellets).... My target velocity is 950 fps, but that works out to 450 FPE, which even with 3600 psi may be a stretch....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

An interesting thought came to me today when I was thinking about how to Chrony the shotshell loads without hittting my Chrony.... I had some OOO Buckshot which measure about 0.36", and found out that they are a perfect fit inside the shotcup.... it still loads normally into the shell....

They weigh just under 70 gr. each, so the total, is only 5% less than a 1/2 oz. of birdshot.... Just out of curiosity I also tried a .357" bullet and it also nestles nicely in the shotcup.... so if I want to have only a single projectile for Chronying I could get some 220 gr. bullets as an alternative.... However, I would think the dispersion on just three roundballs would be so slight that the chance of hitting my Chrony would be no worse than usual within 10' or so, and that should get it away from the muzzle blast no problem....

Incidently, the retained energy of EACH roundball is 120 FPE at 30 yards starting from 950 fps at the muzzle if I can push them that fast.... Three of them would make a heck of a mess of whatever they hit....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Thia is very interesting Bob. A workable air powered shot gun. Please don't stop doing this one. I imagine this wold be a dandy rabbit or grouse gun.
    Rob.

+ Reply to Thread