ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PAL Lisence

PAL Lisence

Hi everyone. I was wondering about the pal licence - what it costs- how long it takes to get it and where to get it. I live in Simcoe county south of Barrie. Some time in the next while or so planning getting a good rifle and scope and don't want to be restricted because I don't have a licence. It's only for target shooting but you never know what may come up.
    THX Jack

I don't know what the actual license cost is these days- somewhere around $50.00 I believe. You need to take a course (most courses are around $200.00-$250.00) get a police record check (typically $40 or so) and pass the exam for the license. Basically, you need to pay for the course/exam and if you don't pass the exam, the license cost and police record check are not relevant.

I went to a couple of hunting supply stores. They had business cards for instructors for the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and the Hunter's Safety course. I Picked a guy and did both courses and did both tests. After passing these I applied for my PAL and Hunting license (Ontario). The whole process took me six months but many have done it in less time. If you have no "history" it will go faster. Get your references lined up because the police may phone them for an interview.
    Now that I have these a whole new world has opened up. I no longer care about velocity limits or what I can or can't hunt without a license. I buy whatever gun I want and get the needed tags and then hunt for what I want. Just do it, after you will wonder why you waited so long. The courses are not hard if you pay attention, most is common sense stuff.
    Rob.

+ Reply to Thread