ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coal Dust Spill?

Coal Dust Spill?

We are in the middle of an major spill in the Tulameen River which runs through Coalmont.... It appears to be a black mixture of what is likely coal dust mixed with water, and is flowing out of a gully called Collins Gulch, not far upstream of Coalmont....

There is an active Coal Mine at the top of that gully, and the black water is entering the Tulameen River and has turned it black as well....

Our normally pristine river is now a black mess, and as we all use wells that draw on the aquifer in the river gravels in our valley, we are quite concerned.... So far, Coalmont Energy Corp., the owners of the mine, have made no announcement of the cause, the dangers, or anything else.... Fortunately, our tap water is still crystal clear....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Depending on how the river feeds into the aquifer- you may have nothing to worry about- the earth may filter it (as long as this doesn't go on for an extended time period).

I understand coal dust can be harmful if respirated- but does it do anything if it gets into people via water? The problems associated with it have typically be related to their lungs as far as I had heard.

Either way, not nice.

We are a couple of blocks from the river, using a dug well that is only 14 feet deep.... The entire valley is river gravel, so the level of the water table is basically the level of the river.... In the spring, our sump-pump runs every couple of minutes, and it's only about 4 feet below grade.... I agree that the gravel bed will likely filter out all the particulate matter no problem.... my only concerns is other contaminants that are water soluable and could travel through the gravel and into our well.... I sent the photos to Global TV, you never know it might be on the News tonight.... I am also concerned about the health of the river itself, of course.... it could be very bad for the ecosystem....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

+ Reply to Thread