ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help i'm sick and tired of my trade

need help i'm sick and tired of my trade

hello buddys
    here is the situation , i dont like my field of work anay more , i whant to work in some thing hels , i always whanted to be gunsmith but there is no job in that field ... may be machining or anay things
    help please before i fell in depresion .

What skills do you have, and what is it you are trying to get away from doing?
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

i'm field mechanic (fixed machine) and welder fabricator, so my skills are variated all about fabrication and repair. mostly structural and some piping stuf , i know lots about metal and stuff.

Hey Poil you need to get out and do some shooting.Are there any clubs in your area?
    Alot of Machining is CNC work and a lot of it is more computer programing than machining.

i don't mind siting in front of a computer i just need to change and i'm open to sujestion

Sounds like someone needs a holiday first!
    Confucious says: He who slings mud, often loses ground!

yea if a could. I had no time off for the last 3 years and i don't see anay time off for the next few month

That sucks Jean! My wife is making me go to Cuba in a couple of weeks, not what I want to do but hey- happy wife, happy life right?
    Hang in there man and try to get some time off. Work has a way of taking life over so we have to make time for ourselves!
    Confucious says: He who slings mud, often loses ground!

What do you currently do?

There are ways to learn - colleges tend to have courses for machining, woodwork, etc. Some offer part time and full time studies. Look under Mechanical Engineering Technology or machining apprenticeships and pre-apprenticeship programs. Getting into one of these programs will help you find out what you really want to do.

As an aside, and as an encouragement, I am a Tool and Die Maker. This is my second (third, really) career. My first career was as an electronics and computer engineering technologist.

I just completed my apprenticeship, and I wrote my exam in November. I first graduated college in 98, then again in 2007. I will tell you that going back to school was hard, but it was the right choice for me - and the second time around, I knew exactly what I wanted, and exactly what I needed to do. I had a goal. The first time around... Not so much. Plus, I had to pay out of my own pocket the second time around... So the pressure was different.

I will tell you to have a goal. Know what you want to do, and then go after it. Plan ahead. Don't be lazy, and don't get frustrated. The second time around isn't about marks anymore... It's about succeeding and about getting out and making money or doing something you really want. Sure, you should do your best for your marks - and the better you do, the more likely you will succeed. Put a five year plan together and try to stick to it. It isn't easy, but having an outline in your life makes things easier.

If you want something badly enough, you will do what you need to do to get it.

Geeze, just read that you can weld... You have no idea how important that skill is.

If you want something cool, you can always learn how to dive and then go for an underwater welder's ticket... Really good pay in that...

Since you can weld, a LOT of shops will want you if you start your apprenticeship in machining... If you can weld, you get seniority, and if you have your welder's ticket, there is no way you'd be at the bottom of the apprentices.

+ Reply to Thread