After testing a variety of pellets in my QB79 HPA yesterday, I updated my .22 cal Pellet Accuracy Database as follows:

The testing now covers three springers, two PCPs and a pumper.... All shooting was 5 shot groups from a bench, and sorting was done by covering the groups with washers.... For the PCPs and pumpers a 3/8" washer has to completely cover the group to be coded green, and if a 1/2" washer won't cover the group, it is coded red.... For the springers, I use a 1/2" washer for green, and a dime for red.... although with my new "roller rest" I could likely use the 3/8" and 1/2" washers, I just haven't done any retesting since I made the roller springer rest.... Green receives a score of 3, red a score of 1, in between a score of 2, and if no number is shown, that pellet wasn't tested in that gun....

The scores are averaged and recorded in the last column, and then colour coded in groups.... I tend to stick to the ones coded green, although some of the ones coded yellow shoot well in some guns.... The JSB Exact Series pellets continue to be the cream of the crop.... and are my "go-to" pellets, it is usually just a matter of picking the weight that best matches the FPE level of the gun.... As I get the opportunity, I hope to continue to add to this data.... While testing at 20 feet may seem silly to many of you, the fact that you can find such differences between pellets, and that those differences seem to show a fair amount of consistency across widely differing guns I find quite useful and informative.... I use this as my preliminary "cut", and only test the best pellets in any particular gun at longer ranges to determine the "best of the best"....

Bob