ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: .22 cal Pellet Accuracy Update

.22 cal Pellet Accuracy Update

After testing a variety of pellets in my QB79 HPA yesterday, I updated my .22 cal Pellet Accuracy Database as follows:

The testing now covers three springers, two PCPs and a pumper.... All shooting was 5 shot groups from a bench, and sorting was done by covering the groups with washers.... For the PCPs and pumpers a 3/8" washer has to completely cover the group to be coded green, and if a 1/2" washer won't cover the group, it is coded red.... For the springers, I use a 1/2" washer for green, and a dime for red.... although with my new "roller rest" I could likely use the 3/8" and 1/2" washers, I just haven't done any retesting since I made the roller springer rest.... Green receives a score of 3, red a score of 1, in between a score of 2, and if no number is shown, that pellet wasn't tested in that gun....

The scores are averaged and recorded in the last column, and then colour coded in groups.... I tend to stick to the ones coded green, although some of the ones coded yellow shoot well in some guns.... The JSB Exact Series pellets continue to be the cream of the crop.... and are my "go-to" pellets, it is usually just a matter of picking the weight that best matches the FPE level of the gun.... As I get the opportunity, I hope to continue to add to this data.... While testing at 20 feet may seem silly to many of you, the fact that you can find such differences between pellets, and that those differences seem to show a fair amount of consistency across widely differing guns I find quite useful and informative.... I use this as my preliminary "cut", and only test the best pellets in any particular gun at longer ranges to determine the "best of the best"....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Great info, Bob!

I noticed that the B-Hunter and Hunter Extreme scored 2.0 and 3.0 respectively, but each was only shot out of one gun? Is that because they were never tried in the other guns or...

Not trying to pick apart your scale or anything , just a better understanding on my part is all!

Cheers,
    Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

Correct, they were not available until recently, and this data goes back 5 years.... I simply added the QB79 HPA testing to it, and that was the only gun I've done since they were made.... Some of the other pellets were dropped because they are no longer available....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

I have found after trying several different types of H&Ns, JSB, RWS and Crosman pellets for my .22 XS B50 that it likes everything Crosman and the most accurate to 40 yds+ are the Crosman pointed hunting and this after condemning all pointed pellets especially any .177. The only other pellet that I have good success with are the JSB jumbo heavy 18.13 but I have a low power setup and I will save the JSBs for 15ftbs+.

Well I don't know whats going on but today I was shooting target from 29 or 30yds. I started of with cphps since I have a lot of them and they are usually good at 30yds but for some reason I couldn't get anything under a 1" group + flyers. I was leaning on the top of a 4' step ladder so I wasn't very stable and I figured that must have been the reason, how ever I had some RWS super points handy and I thought to give them a try although I don't have good luck with them and wouldn't you know it back to 1/2" groups. The only explanation I could think of is I haven't cleaned the barrel in quite some time and maybe the RWS like a dirty barrel. ?

+ Reply to Thread