ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: QB78 "buddy bottle"mod"

QB78 "buddy bottle"mod"

I am happy with my QB78d as it is on co2, with one exception...the CO2, lol

My research shows that CO2 gives a pressure of 852 (avg) PSI in the QB78....so Can a stock QB78 hold 852PSI of air....why not?

So, could I get a regulated " buddy" Ninja type tank and connect to to my QB78 with a remote line and one of these?

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/...nk-block-p-831

I would regulate the tank filled with 3K PSI down to lets say 900PSI (safe in a QB?)

I dont want to to spend a mint on this rifle, and I have no problem carting around a buddy bottle....if it keeps price down. If remote bottle and mounted bottle are around the same price....I would like mounted for sure.

So, could I get a regulated " buddy" Ninja type tank and connect to to my QB78 with a remote line and one of these?

That would work, but if you plan on using a remote line @ 900-1000 PSI I wouldn't bother with the drop block...just get yourself a bulk fill fitting for tube http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/...-end-cap-p-832 remove the plug/rubbery-type washer inside and install a male 1/8" NPT Foster fitting (with Teflon tape on the threads) and you are good to go!

I dont want to to spend a mint on this rifle, and I have no problem carting around a buddy bottle....if it keeps price down. If remote bottle and mounted bottle are around the same price....I would like mounted for sure.
    Your best bet to mount the bottle on a '78 would be to make (or know someone who can make one) a reverse tank block like Bob does. By FAR the the best route to take: http://www.canadianairguns.com/showt...A-(Now-25-cal)

But, if you're like me and don't have access to a lathe/milling machine (but still want to mount the bottle) you could always grab a few fittings and make your own "redneck version". Not near as pretty as Bob's, but the same result in the end:

Hope this (somewhat) helps!

Cheers,
    Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

Thanks for the info!

I was speaking with some other members and it came to my attention that I need a clean, full thickness (ie unthreaded) tube end on the 78 and then have to drill holes accurately to mount this adapter.

I have been doing some thinking, and I think I would like a regulated tank mounted to the QB78.

Does no one make a adapter similar to the one linked to above, but that uses the stock threads on a QB78? Kinda like the one you linked me to, but not with a 1/4" NPT quick disconnect fitting on the other end...instead a thread or other mount for a regulated bottle. I guess just like the picture you posted....but not bringing the regulated bottle back 180 degrees under the QB... instead keeping the bottle parallel with the barrel and just under it (barrel)

That would be perfect as I could just thread it on to my QB78 and then thread a regulated bottle on to it.... right? (lol)

I SOOO want HPA on the QB78 as I just love the thing after I ported and polished it up....I just want the constant pressure of HPA...CO2 can be frustrating.

Does no one make a adapter similar to the one linked to above, but that uses the stock threads on a QB78? Kinda like the one you linked me to, but not with a 1/4" NPT quick disconnect fitting on the other end...instead a thread or other mount for a regulated bottle. I guess just like the picture you posted....but not bringing the regulated bottle back 180 degrees under the QB... instead keeping the bottle parallel with the barrel and just under it (barrel)
    Not that I know of...but I agree that it would be a nifty idea.

The only problem with the bottle pointing straight out on a '78 is that seeing as the tube is longer (as opposed to the '79 tube) the bottle would be wayyyy out front...maybe almost to the muzzle??? This would result in your gun being quite "nose-heavy" and possibly (?) uncomfortable to shoot. Not necessarily a deal-breaker, but something to think about before spending your hard earned money on a setup that you may(?) end up not liking...

Don't ya just love figuring out the logistics of a build!?!?
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

thanks again,

There are no commercial tank blocks available that use the threads on a QB tube (or 22XX for that matter).... You can use the factory QB79 block, or a duplicate made by JDS Airman (which has better mounting holes, but no center pin to open the pin valve in a regulator).... either require a full thickness tube (ie you have to remove the threaded portion) that must be drilled accurately so that the QB79 style block will mount safely....

There is no reason my "reversed style" tank block that mounts to a QB (or with a different adapter to a 22XX) tube could not be made "forward facing" instead of reversed, and of course the depth could be made so that a standard 9 oz. CO2 tank would fit (they are currently about 1/16" too large to fit a QB79 tank block), or even deep enough that a regulator with gauge and fill fitting attached could rotate under the barrel.... All it takes is a machinist to produce them....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

+ Reply to Thread