ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

Thread: QB79 Ninja - The $200 PCP (PAL Required)

Threaded View

I finally had a chance to do some testing outdoors today, so I tested all the pellets scoring "green" in the last tests indoors that I expected to have a decent BC at 25 yards.... I measured the average velocity at the muzzle and at 25 yards, for 5 shots with each pellet, and then used ChairGun3 to calculate the Ballistics Coefficient.... Here are the results....

The groups were sorted as usual, with any group you could cover with a Dime scoring green, any group you couldn't cover with a Quarter scoring red, and in between no colour code.... I was surprised that all the JSBs were the only pellets that produced sub-dime sized groups.... and the best of those was the 15.9 gr. Exact Jumbo.... When you look at the JSB Exacts, the heavier the pellet the better the BC, as expected, and this results in a lot more FPE at 25 yards.... However, with the combinaton of good velocity and high BC, plus superb accuracy, I chose the 15.9 gr. as the pellet to use.... After sighting the rifle in 1/4" high at 25 yards, here is a typical 5-shot group....

The small squares are 0.1", and the black squares are 0.4", so the C-T-C size of that group is less than 0.25".... I can get 70 shots per fill at 25 FPE, and basically it just keeps dumping them in a ragged hole at 25 yards.... I think we can call this project an unqualified success, and this rifle has earned a place on my "wall of keepers"....

Bob
    Last edited by rsterne; Aug 23 2013 at 07:42 PM.
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!