ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Valve for Refill Tank Build

Valve for Refill Tank Build

I would be interested in building a refill tank from one of the 70 to 90 cu ft carbon fiber 4500 PSI SCUBA tanks. Is there a thread somewhere that talks about what valves (SCUBA) work for an airgun refiller. Is any 300Bar SCUBA valve a candidate, or does it require specific tank threading?
    Thanks

Carbon fibre tanks are not used for SCUBA applications as they float. You would need an SCBA tank- like that used for firefighters. That being said, they use their own style of hose connections- so the bottom line becomes that whatever yoke/connection is on the specific tank, you would need the ability to connect the proper end for your application (i.e. the fill probe or quick disconnect).
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

I just went through this..

First locally can they fill 4500 psi? That is the first things to check.. and asking about it does not always get you the right answers. If the places near you only fill to 3000psi no sense in 4500psi unless you get something like a shoebox or step up to a Airetex or Bauer compressor.

Most the 4500 CF tanks are cga347 not all places will fill them. You might also want to check with your local fire department. They use that style of tanks for some industrial places for safety in case of accidents and fire and also for fire departments.

I recently got a 88cf 2001 Carlton.. Remember when buying tanks they only have a 15 year life. So my a Aug 2001 manufactures date and is not usable after august 2016 as a result.

You will need Hydro's ever 3 years (was $45 fro mine to be hydro'd) and a yearly inspection if filling at say a dive shop.

For fill stuff be very very careful!!!!! 4500psi can hurt or kill! I spent the $$$ on a Joe Brancato setup. Its a very nice and safe setup with a micro bore hose but its not cheap. Before doing that I would contact someone like http://scopesandammo.com and ask if they have anything they can get not listed on there website. Only reason I went that way as I was going to SC, USA and had shipped to a friend there when I went to an international airgun shoot.

ALWAYS CHECK the RATING ON PARTS!!!! if it is not listed do no use it!

Bruce

SCBA

Yes, the tank is SCBA based and not SCUBA, I'm still making the mistake of mixing terms.

What I am interested in is the thread size on the larger 4500 PSI tanks. I believe these follow a standard , and I think it is 5/8" 14 threads per inch BSP, but is that he same thing as saying G5/8 European threads - I think so but I'm not sure. I can find lots of info on what to buid/ buy from the valve going out to the gun (which is what I thnk AirGunEric was getting at), but noting on the valve that threads into the tank. I need to understand this better whether I buy a fully configured solution (from someone Like Joe) or if I decide to build it myself. Once I know the thread I can decide what valves are available to buy, and if they are better option then what is available in the 'pre-built' models. I was hoping their might be a thread on what valves peole are buying (to build their own) but I guess that thread doesn't exist yet?

Cheers,

Sean

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeanMP View Post
    Great pdf, thanks Sean.
    I must have googled "CGA 347" 30 different ways 'valve', threads', 'standard', etc... but never with 'specifications'! Should have thought of that.

imcristian10
    very interesting

+ Reply to Thread