ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arrow firing retrofits

Arrow firing retrofits

I was intrigued by the FX verminator ""bolt barrel" for firing arrows.
    Having retrofit a 2240 with a 24" barrel, it seemed to me that it might be an easy task to find a 10.8x mm ID arrow, bolt, or at least tubing.
    That hasn't happened yet, and I'm still not sure what the OD of the verminator extreme bolt barrel is.

Given the effort required to maintain non PAL rating on a modified 2240, it seems reasonable to explore another avenue of utilizing the power of a modified airgun without breaking the law.

Anyone tried this?

Here's a review of the gun that inspired the question:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bxE7rxY6fU

I've seen a few "arrow guns" around and being an archery enthusiast myself it's only a matter of time before I make that one of my projects (maybe this winter???)

Pretty sure you won't find an arrow or bolt that just happens to be the perfect size to slide over a stock barrel - that would be too easy! You will have to bite the bullet (or arrow in this case) and dedicate a barrel just for this purpose and turn one down to the correct diameter.

I have a bunch of aluminum 2117 arrows here which have an ID of 7.35mm. Used to have some heavier/stiffer 2216 and 2219 ones, but who knows where they are now? Not sure if they would have a larger ID or just a thicker wall thickness...

Given the effort required to maintain non PAL rating on a modified 2240, it seems reasonable to explore another avenue of utilizing the power of a modified airgun without breaking the law.
    Sounds good in theory, but let's say you have installed a barrel that is turned down to fit/fire arrows on your modified 2240. All you have done to make this work properly is reduce the outside diameter so the arrow will slide over it. Technically, that same barrel will STILL shoot pellets!...and that's where the problem is (especially if using a 2240/2250 tube) - you have a gun that shoots arrows at say 250 FPS, but load a pellet and it will be going wayyyy over 500 FPS. Doesn't matter that you may never intend to shoot pellets through it again, if a pellet CAN be loaded you can bet that's how it would be tested if such a scenario (however unlikely) ever arises. Better to play it safe...

Couple ways you can get around this is: 1) have or get a PAL and use a "rifle" as a base platform (i.e - 2260 tube on your 2240)...I would recommend this option myself...

...or if you insist on using a 2240/2250 tube...

2) Modify (i.e - ruin) a steel breech so that it is permanently impossible to load a pellet. Turn the gun into a rear-cocker so you don't need the bolt to cock the gun anymore and weld shut the opening where you would normally load a pellet (being careful not to block the TP in the process!).

Personally I wouldn't choose option 2 unless you have no problem dedicating it to being ONLY an arrow gun, but it's the only way I can think of to be 100% legal if using a 2240/2250 tube? Maybe someone more qualified than me will chime in shortly...

Cheers,
    Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

Arrow numbers are the OD in 1/64ths of an inch and the wall thickness in thousandths.... 2216 is 0.344" OD and 0.016" wall, so that is 0.306" ID.... just under 5/16"....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

I agree it would have to be a one or other situation.
    I would suggest that replacing the bolt with one that is held by the rear top screw (extended, or perhaps a simple spacer to disable breech load).
    One could expose full TP with a ground, or shaped replacement bolt. And yes, rear cocked...

The platform being inherently pistol does not itself lend to rifle conversion in authorities eyes.
    It would be a shame to have to fully dismantle and replace the barrel, but it too would lend itself to a dedicated platform that could not be considered a pellet rifle.
    That, and finding something to shoot from it would an order of magnitude easier.

I turned down a 1377 barrel and put it on my 2240. Made some 10 inch arrows and 234 fps is my best result so far. I am using a HiPac with 2000 psi instead of CO2..
    There is a thread on the other forum that I got the idea from.
    It is amazingly accurate at short range.

Any chance you could post a link to the 'other' forum thread where it was discussed?

What sort of effective range do you get with a 10" bolt and what weight are you sending?
    Details are most welcome.

I Thought a longer arrow would leech the largest push from launch, but it may require serious valve dwell time to push a high grain arrow.
    Is that why you went shorter?

I
    can't post a link but it is on the Canadian Airgun Forum under mods and repair. look for 2240 extreme
    The maximum rang I shot at was 25 ft.
    I don't have an arrow weight but I replaced the steel tip with aluminum to reduce the weight.

It looks like the verminator (if I may reach for such a lofty benchmark) is pushing 42ft/lbs @ 290fps so mathing it yeilds a 250gr (ish) arrow.
    My cheapy carbons lump in at 500gr, so while I understand the need for speed, predictable energy on parabola is the goal.
    A small scale for your bolts and a gram/grain conversion would tell you (me too please) what sort of energy you're shooting.
    I would hazard a guess it is higher then via lead. Compressed gas seems more like a slingshot moving heavy things slowly as much efficient.

Thanks for the post, nice thread there.
    Ref:
    http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/FXVe...orExtreme.html
    Last edited by blarg; Jun 27 2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: can't spel

+ Reply to Thread