ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dan Wesson 4" airsoft modded to rifled 4.5mm pellet gun!

Dan Wesson 4" airsoft modded to rifled 4.5mm pellet gun!

Hi everyone,

I've seen that you can mod a Dan Wesson .177 bb (4.5mm) to shoot .177 pellets through a rifled barrel.

I'll be trying the same thing, except that I'll be starting from a Dan Wesson 4" airsoft (6mm) version. The internals seem to be exactly the same as the .177 bb counterpart, except for the aluminium 6mm. barrel.

I have enough left over barrel from a modded Crosman 357 from an 8" to a 2.5" barrel to complete the DW conversion.

Now my two questions:

Are my assumption about the airsoft internals, including the valve body & pressure being the same as the 4.5 version correct?

Short of buying new 4.5mm bullets and modifying these to use, any idea about modifying the OVERSIZED 6mm bullets to carry the smaller diameter pellets?

Any and all help and comments are welcomed!

Shucks...Still no replies....

I guess it's time for some good, old time thinkering....

Sometimes, at least on some questions, all you can hear is the wind...

Part of the issue is that, in my estimate, most people around the airgun forums are not big Airsoft/Softair users- it really is a completely different sort of activity.

That being said, I suspect you can figure out how to change the barrel tube out and align it correctly, so the issues become the "bullet" size and the valve- I think trying to shrink the hole in the "bullets" to hold 4.5mm BBs may be alot of time and effort for little effect, if the exterior dimensions of the bullets are the same between 4.5mm steel BBs and the 6mm plastic BB's, you might want to consider purchasing the proper units: http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/...teel-bbs-p-746

The valve is likely to be either choked or modified for reduced flow- I can't speak to the exact specifications of the Dan Wesson 6mm airsoft, but most airsoft pistols shoot in the 300fps range, using BB's that weigh almost nothing- so the valve seems likely to be flowing alot less than would be used/required for 4.5mm steel BB's that are much heavier. As is the case with all 'air' valves- you would need to look at improving flow by removing any restrictions and increasing flow around the plunger.
    I'd say I care- but I'd probably be lying...

You can always count on AirgunEric

Thank's Eric

Followed your advice on the bullets. Used the spares I forgot I had for my S&W..

For the valve, you're probably right on the money as the pellet only makes it out just past the forcing cone of the barrel.

I'll look into it just as soon as I finish both my Crosman Peacemaker whose parts i'll be getting from you shortly!

Thank's again,

Aldman

+ Reply to Thread