ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

Thread: 1701 p

Threaded View

You'd a-thunk by now there'd be some sort of digital aligning system for straightening bbls, but maybe for some things, old school is just better...

Factory cut crown has been blued on the machined area. This is almost the cleanest looking factory crowning job I've seen.

For those that are still fence-sitting, a few more pix to show the differences between the 22-XX system, and the 'Rod system...

XX .177 bbl at top, L/W .177 bbl below. From what I've seen on the Crosman site, the P-Rod bbl's are cut the same way at the transfer port inlet.

Think I've found why the L/W bbl won't shoot the ultra mags. L/W at left, XX at right. She appears to be shaving the skirts on the thicker waisted pellets. Bit of a knife edge there to be cleaned up at the start of the leade. Inner step to the rifling is just barely visible in this so-so photo. It looks very clean under the loupe and good strong light...

Without access to a lathe here, I'm none too sure how much of this clean-up I can take on. I suppose I could chuck it up in the drill press, and turn it against a soft compound pad wheel by hand.

Pellet probe differences: XX .177 SBK steel breech and bolt at top. The "P" probe is much longer, and seats the pellet well ahead of the transfer port hole.

I did get the 24" XX .177 bbl aboard. I even shot it a bit.

Ten of the Crosman 10.1 gr Ultra-mags from rest at 12 Meters. 4-12X A/O Banner @ 6X. I yanked that loner at lower left. My tube experiment worked, but I think it was a little long. Shot that quick group, and then took it all off. I was a little bit concerned about warping the aluminum breech. That is definitely going to get re-visited when I have a bit more time on my hands. Work is shaping up to be a bit of a bear for the rest of the week, so it's gonna be a little while yet. Looks very good from this end, though.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    Last edited by Doc Sharptail; Jul 16 2013 at 04:57 AM.
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.