ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Refurb Defender...

Refurb Defender...

on sale at Princess Auto. I was in there on an entirely un-related matter, and walked over by the a/g section

I couldn't let it go at that 29.99 price point.

Report/Review soonish...

and I didn't get what I was in there for in the first place- a puller for broken wheel studs. Couldn't find one. I did get a set of fractional HSS drills, on sale for 16.99

Who else hates their Win 8 keyboard???!!!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

It got me grinning.

Refurbished, no warranty. A minor gamble, perhaps.

That's the clincher there. Same pistol is 79.99 at Cabela's.

Right side of pistol. That chrome over the fake bbl is actually a sticker, and poorly done at that. Umarex and others have been doing the chrome sticker thing for a while now, most notably the Jericho Pistol...

Safety is in an accessible location, and is operable one handed with a bit of practice. For plastic grips, these are pretty good, with well raised points. Slide and frame are one piece, with no movement. The hammer is also a dummy, with no function what so-ever. Strictly D/A only.
    Weight of the pistol is not too bad at 24 oz.

Left side of pistol. The only thing that functions is the push-button to the rear of the trigger. It releases the spring loaded CO-2 cover. Sights are fixed.

Grip cover open showing the placement of the 12 gr. cylinder.

Gun has been re-struck with an "R" added to the s/n, denoting re-furbishment by the factory. This pistol has the longest hammer fall of any Umarex d/a b.b. pistol I've seen, at almost 1/2". That's the way it works, with the bbl and it's sleeve acting as the hammer...

B.B. loading is fast and easy- just pull the plunger back, and notch it into the locking cut, and drop b.b.'s into the enlarged hole up to a count of 16. There is no magazine to lose- the housing is a part of the frame. Easiest handling of b.b.'s I've seen.

Soda can at 10 Meters with the Daisy steel b.b.'s. I haven't clocked the pistol yet. It must be close to the claimed 410 fps, based on how hard the b.b.'s were bouncing back...
    There is a white dot on the front sight that helps a lot. Kinda wish that they'd see fit to utilize the 3 dot system (2 on the rear sight), but they didn't. Shot count is very good at 65+ shots on a Palco cylinder. Pull weight on the d/a only trigger is not bad- a bit lighter than my Umarex Makarov in d/a.
    This little pistol has a high fun factor. A 7 meter target pistol, it ain't. It what it is- a fun little plinker that fits well in the hand, with low complications. I like it a lot.

Note: The instruction sheet that came with the pistol was pretty adamant about not storing the gun with a CO-2 cylinder in it. It mentions 3 times, no less, not to store the gun with a cylinder in it to protect the seals. From what I can see of the gas cylinder seal, it's that same soft rubber stuff that is used for transfer ports by the factory on the A/R-Q/B guns...

I didn't try to bench rest with it- I simply don't have the eye-sight for it. Minute of pop can at 10 meters is more than good enough for my purposes.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

+ Reply to Thread