ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quiet

Quiet

Hope everyone's out shooting.

Been this route before, 7 or 8 years ago, in .177. They were not very accurate, then. I'm sort of hoping .22 will be an improvement. They are also available in .25 cal

Anyone else notice the ribbed skirt w/c in there? Looks like Gamo is up to their usual q/c...

I'm not at the shop today, so testing will have to wait. I set up in the dining room, and fired two of them from about 14 ft- all the distance I could get.

First was out of my el-cheapo Roebel chinese springer into the bottom of a kilo coffee can:

This rifle was clocking 460 fps, IIRC, with a 14.3 gr w/c. No idea what it's doing with the .22 rocket- no weight listed on the tin, or packaging. Second shot was similar, except it was from a 18" bbl 22-89 at the same distance, at ten pumps. It penetrated a lot further than the springer- through the tin bottom, and through the plastic lid.

Test for group will likely be in the next couple of days...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

Hope everyone's out shooting.
    I only wish....working out of town (Collin's Bay Penitentiary) for the next few months and only come home on weekends, so shooting time is pretty much non-existent for the foreseeable future...I even missed picking up my order from Eric this week because of it . It's a real treat having armed guards and umpteen dozen security cameras watching you every second for 12 hrs a day...

Test for group will likely be in the next couple of days...
    LOL....hope you have a BIG target! I've never had any luck at all with anything with the Gamo name on it. For me anyways, I'm sure I could've got just as good (or better) groups if I shot them out of a slingshot!

I honestly do hope you have better luck, but.....

Looking forward to your results!

Cheers,
    Todd
    Last edited by sholo; May 12 2013 at 08:20 AM.
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

Camera's are a way of life in my business- operations side of commercial property mgmt. I gave up worrying about what the camera's are picking up. If my butt itches, I'm gonna scratch it

Here's the test platform:

18" bbl 22-89 made up from the parts box. Yes, it's a 13-77 pump handle. It works. Bbl's a good one.
    6-24X Banner mil-dot.

Much better than the .177 version I had tried previously.
    Not match grade, but not Gamo hyper promotional either. I'd peg these "usable", if they stay consistent.
    "Group" at top is actually sighting in with the JSB exact heavy, which this bbl really likes.
    Bottom is conditioning, or foulers.
    Center group is 5 of the .22 Rockets at 12 meters, 6X. Ten pumps on the flat top piston.
    There are other Gamo pellets I've found that will shoot: 16.2 gr pointed Hunter is one, the "Magnum" .22 point is another.

These are worth benching at 20-25 yds, just to see how they do.

Next up:

H&N Baracuda, 21 gr dome in .22 cal...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

Ran the Rockets over the chrony tonight. They are averaging 502.6 fps at ten pumps. ES is a bit higher than I like, at 24.5 fps. Compared to the ES of the JSB Exact Heavy out of the same rifle at the same ten pumps at 25.4 fps, I think there's more at work in regards to accuracy, than ES, and pellet weight alone. I believe that the way the head of the pellet engages the rifling is just as, if not more, an important factor for accuracy...

As to the H&N 23.1 gr Baracuda:

They average 447.1 fps at ten pumps out of the same rifle. It takes 15 pumps to bring these up to the 500 fps mark. Going further is pretty well a waste of pumping effort- 25 pumps yields 545 fps

They group nicely at 500 fps- almost as tight as the JSB Heavy, but not quite. ES is nice and low at 9.4 fps.

These pellets are extremely hard, and will penetrate 1/2" of cured birch at 500 fps at 12 meters. In fact, they will almost penetrate 2 layers of this hardwood:

That one almost made it through the second plank.
    Rifling marks are more pronounced at the skirt, than they are at the head.

Updated the gun a bit too:

It now wears a modern 13-22 pump handle, and a lighter valve stem return spring. All it needs now is a 24" bbl to enhance the balance, among other things...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

+ Reply to Thread