ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Day of Varminting in 2013

First Day of Varminting in 2013

Had a very succcesful first day at the local ranch eliminating pests today.... Great way to start out 2013....

There are 11 Columbian Ground Squirrels (gophers), 3 Yellow Bellied Marmots, and a Crow in the photo.... The marmot tally was at least twice that, most fell down into the woodpiles they were sitting on.... I got good solid hits on at least three times the number of gophers that I found, the rest fell/wriggled into their burrows.... You can sure hear when you hit these critters, even out to 90 yards, the longest shot I had today.... Most were shot around 50 yards.... Here are the guns....

Two virtually identical PCPs I built, the top one is a .25 cal, the bottom one is .22 cal.... Both shoot at 960 fps, and have the same trajectory out to 100 yards which is the top of the post (5 dots holdover) at 12X in the 3-12 x 44 Hawke Varmint SF MilDot scopes.... It sure is a treat to change to a .25 cal when the quarry is a Marmot and have the gun feel and perform exactly the same except hit 40% harder (52 FPE instead of 37).... and it gives me a back up should either gun have a problem as well.... I'm delighted with this combination....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Nice goin, Bob. Those marmots are definitely edible. Dunno about the others though- if those columbian p-dogs are anything like our richardson's- bleah. Cannibals, and not very clean, to boot..

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

gotta ask....why the crow?

Wow all that capture. Nice!

Crows can be pests, raiding bird nests, etc.... Rancher want's rid of them (and magpies), I'll oblige him....

Bob
    Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
    Airsonal: Too many to count!

Quote Originally Posted by rsterne View Post
    Crows can be pests, raiding bird nests, etc.... Rancher want's rid of them (and magpies), I'll oblige him....

Bob
    Yes they eat the songbird babies, very nasty pests those crows.
    Member, Limestone Beekeepers Guild
    Duke ))))----//----------==

+ Reply to Thread